Need Advice re Warranty

Saali Chuud 20:12 30 Mar 2006

Hi,

I bought a new Laptop (March 2005), it came with 3 years waranty (1 year parts and labour, Year 2 & 3 labour only).. In the first few months, the laptop use to 'die' intermittenly. I did not report it to the supplier as it use to come back to life. In February 2006, it 'died' and wont come to life. I sent it back to the laptop manufacturer, they 'fixed' it and when I got it back, the screen display started distorting. In March 2006 I sent it back again and it was 'fixed' again ( I am told that they replaced the motherboard and CPU). I got it back today, so far so good.

I have NOT been charged for anything (parts or labour). The 'parts' bit of the warranty will be expiring tommorrow ( I bought the laptop 31.03.2005). Now that I have a new motherboard & CPU fitted (on 28.03.2006) am I to think that I will have a year parts & labour warranty starting on the motherboard & CPU from 28.03.2006.

Please advise me of my rights on this. Thanks.

amonra 21:27 30 Mar 2006

If this warranty is similar to other warranties I have experienced, then NO. The warranty runs from the time you bought the device, full stop ! Any other parts fitted are covered under the original warranty and that's it. Car manufacturers are noted for this type of "get-out" clause. Sorry to be so negative but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

spuds 23:14 30 Mar 2006

Your warranty will remain the same, as from date of original purchase.

Saali Chuud 00:59 31 Mar 2006

Yes, I understand about the warranty running from the time I bought the device.

Say next week, the CPU and Motherboard only fitted this week goes kaput (dies), will I have to pay for a new motherboard and CPU to be installed ???

SG Atlantis® 05:59 31 Mar 2006

You can still claim under the original warranty as a laptop can be expected to last longer than one year.

spuds 11:02 31 Mar 2006

If the CPU and Motherboard, or anything else that's covered by the warranty goes kaput, then it will be covered until 2008, with free labour charges. From 2006 until 2008, you will be expected to pay for 'parts', but if a new part as just been fitted, and fails, then you could have a claim under consumer law for another free replacement.

The three year warranty provided, could have an extension (if argued) under present consumer law, via the six year rule.

Saali Chuud 14:26 01 Apr 2006

Thanks everybody

ittech247 14:38 01 Apr 2006

Who did u buy from? As companies are better than others over warranties?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?