Need advice on possible paypal scam

WhiteTruckMan 22:44 23 Sep 2008

I got a call from no.1 son asking if I could convet some pdf files to jpeg for him. I did do, and emailed them back but asked why, and he said hey were trying to email them to paypal because they had an email saying their account had been suspended (it has-they are unable to log in) and they needed some proof of ID etc. the pdf's re scans of personal docs, driving licence, bank statements etc. This has set alarm bells ringing for me, as I thought they never asked for personal info by email etc. Here is what they recieved, forewarded to me, and I have removed personal identifing info:

> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:01:33 -0700
> Subject: Please Restore Your Account Access -----
> To: [email protected]
> From: [email protected]
>
> Dear ----------,
>
> As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.
>
> We requested information from you for the following reason:
>
> PayPal requires accounts within the charity / non-profit category to provide us with some additional information regarding their organisation. Upon a recent review, your account was identified as falling within this classification. Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited. Please take a moment to provide us with this information so that we can restore your access as soon as possible.
>
> Reference Number: _____________
>
> This is a second reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.
>
> Be sure to log in securely by opening a new browser window and typing the PayPal URL. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.
>
> In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.
>
> To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Centre. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting the Help Centre and clicking 'Contact Us'.
>
> We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologise for any inconvenience.
>
> Yours sincerely,
> PayPal Account Review Department
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Copyright ©1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved.
>
> PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
> Société en Commandite par Actions
> Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
> RCS Luxembourg B 118 349
>
> PayPal Email ID PP638
>

They have been sent a phone number -08707307191- to call paypal, but I cannot find it on paypals website.

Can anyone offer any opinions?

WTM

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:50 23 Sep 2008

It would appear to be a genuine paypal number..click here get him to phone them to find out.

G

ayrmail 23:07 23 Sep 2008

If your pay pal account is suspended by pay pal normally you have to complete 2 things firstly the email they send advises you to go to your account and hit forgotten log in details you are then sent to security questions you first entered when joining you have to answer 2 of the 4 you can then change your password via email sent to your email address.
To regain use of the account you need confirmation you are who you say you are the latest method of this is to click a button on there web site that ends up with you receiving an automated call when a code is given that you have to enter on there web site.
You are never asked to send items too them as far as I am aware although if asked to do it by logging in to your/their account it would seem safe enough.

spuds 00:11 24 Sep 2008

Looking at all the details, its a genuine communication from PayPal. The telephone number given 08707 307 191 can be contacted Mon-Fri 06.00-22.00 Sat 08.00-22.00 Sun09.00-22.00 You will probably find this is the PayPal call centre in Ireland.

When speaking to PayPal they may ask for the 'last four digits' of the credit or debit card, which is used in the account, as a security check.

There are two ways in which to send an email via a secured procedure. In eBay select PayPal on side listing, new page opens, then login as normal, new page opens, click on contact us at bottom, new page should open with your registered telephone number and special 1 hour code number (after 1 hour this code number becomes invalid). The other way is to go direct to the PayPal website, put in registered email and pass word, then contact us.

Noels 08:54 24 Sep 2008

Be very very careful.
I have twice had similar requests etc from PayPal both about a fortnight after using their facilities. Except that it wasn't from PayPal but it was a VERY genuine looking request. Eventually I found someone to talk to at PayPal (via a phone number on the genuine PayPal web page) who implied that like banks they don't send out this kind of request. They also asked me to forward the e-mail to them so that their fraud department could deal with it.
I would be very wary in supplying any financial details!
Regards
Noels

birdface 09:39 24 Sep 2008

From another Forum.[If you have shipped item, just send them tracking number and they should re instate the balance once the item is received.

Try phoning them up to explain the situation, this will help your case.

PayPal number is : 08707307191 So the number looks genuine.

WhiteTruckMan 11:54 24 Sep 2008

my son to call paypal on the number provided as that at least appears to be genuine, and to follow their instructions. I was concerned about thenumber as well, as it was something thathad been emailed to them as well, but if its a genuine number then its a starting point to resolve this.

Thanks to everyone.

WTM

kindly 11:56 24 Sep 2008

I have had a few emails that suppose to come from Paypal. Usually asking to check my account and go to the link provided. Abviosly you dont use the link because it will be a scam email. I have reported three scam emails to Paypal but never got anything back other than an automated message saying it had recieved my email. So I never find out what has happened.
The only way to be sure you are getting to the real Paypal website is to use the web address you have when you set up your account. I would say to anyone who recieves an email from anyone that has a "follow the link" address on it, is to just report it to the people who it pretends to be from using their web address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?