Need advice for PC upgrade

CodyPlumb 19:46 22 May 2014

My PC is beginning to feel more and more outdated. (it is quite a few years old now). I mainly use it for Graphics and Media Design, and Gaming. As far as Design goes, my PC can handle things quite well, until i work on large projects (like 40x40 inch posters with 300 res and 50+ layers in Adobe PS), I start getting lag between every input i make, but its rare i need to do massive and detailed projects. More over, gaming is a big problem, more and more games that i want to play, my PC can barley handle, or it is to the point the game is unplayable. Issues are usually along the lines of, bad frame rate (not a single game i play do i have over 30 fps, most games run at 20-25, usually dropping to 10-15 frequently). I always have to run at the lower end resolutions and graphical settings are in the low end/sometimes medium settings. The worse thing is a delay in my cursor, which makes any First person shooter unplayable. It only happens with some of the more demanding games, but my cursor has about a 1 second delay between when i move my mouse and when the cursor moves. Ive tried messing with v-sync, raw input data and the like. and its happening with more and more games, so i think its just time to upgrade.

This is my PC:

click here there should be the specs i have, as i have not yet changed any hardware in my PC, its completely stock.

I would like to upgrade my PC to run games better, and later on i will probably upgrade for my graphics design(or more ideal, build a new PC), I have come to the conclusion that I need a Better GPU, and possibly a better CPU(I don't know much about CPU's)I'm not sure which is more vital for me to upgrade at the moment- in the interest of gaming. My budget is low, Im trying to stay in the 200$ range.

I have favored the Nvidia Graphics cards in the past. but seeing as this PC is all ATI, I would be so bold to guess that a new ATI GPU would compliment my system more? I also believe I would require a new PSU to run an upgraded GPU.

If the CPU needs to be upgraded more, i dont know where to begin with that. I've had someone told me I would also need to completely replace my RAM if i put a new CPU in?

So here's my questions. -Which Is more vital for my PC, GPU or CPU? -Depending on which, what other assets must i think about when upgrading(ex: GPU needs new PSU)? -What GPU/CPU would be best for my PC and best for my budget?(around 200$)

Everything

Woolwell 22:36 22 May 2014

A better graphics card will almost certainly need a more powerful PSU. Your's is at the low end. I think that you'll be pushed with a budget of $200. Firstly I suggest you have a good clean of your current system, removing programs that you don't need, look at ones that auto-start and run in the background.

From your link it is quite difficult to determine your exact specs.

CodyPlumb 23:13 22 May 2014

I plan on doing a back up for everything i need and doing a full restore/factory reset to my system before i upgrade the hardware. My budget is 200$ although i am expecting to have to pay a little more, Im also expecting to pay around an additional $60 or so for a PSU if i go with getting a GPU.

As for my Specs as i know them:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (2.7 GHz)

Memory: 8 GB DDR3

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6450

Hardrive: 1.5 TB

Power: 300W

and this is the "Upgrade information" for my mother board:

Upgrade Information

Processor upgrade information

Max TDP: 95W

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

NOTE: Only Socket AM3 processors are supported with this motherboard.

AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)

AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb core)

AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka core)

AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto core)

AMD Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)

AMD Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)

AMD Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)

AMD Sempron Single Core 1xx (Sargas core)

Memory upgrade information

Dual channel memory architecture

Four DDR3 DIMMs (240-pin) sockets

PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)

PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)

Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

Supports 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB DDR3 DIMMs

Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit systems

Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit PCs

*32-bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

To be Honest I dont know what to make of some of that. Im not very well versed in hardware. Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?