Need advice on Dell 640M Laptop

VNAM75 19:41 05 Sep 2006

click here

This model costs £529 which seems very good value. I will be using it for general purpose - internet, basic gaming, music, video, MS Office. I have some questions:

1) Is the 1.66ghz 2mb L2 cache CPU sufficient for what I need?
2) Is it worth paying the £23.50 extra for the "Ultra sharp, Truelife screen"?
3) Would the onboard "shared graphics" be a concern - sounds very basic. Would the card be drawing on the 512mb ddr system Ram?
4)Is the XP Media Centre upgrade worth the £30 - I do enjoy my music and DVDs.
5) Is it worth buying an extra battery - is the cpu energy efficient?
6) Dell laptops are "Road Ready" - they have endured 13,000 hours of bashing, dropping etc, so are they very well built?
7) What about the style, design? This slim/mobile model looks good in the photos.
8) Is there a better altenative for this price? CPU and mobility are my priorities, graphics is less important.

Jackcoms 20:20 05 Sep 2006

1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes, shared graphice draw on the RAM - as in most laptops
4) No idea
5) Not if you intend to mainly power it from the mains
6) VERY well built
7) That's up to you. Do you want slim/mobile or fat/not so mobile? Only you know
8) Shop around. Use Google. Go to PC World

Al94 21:26 05 Sep 2006

I would pay the £23 for the screen upgrade - better for viewing photos and DVD's. I have XP media centre and not a great fan. Power DVD better as a stand alone.

wjrt 21:59 05 Sep 2006

click here

bigger screen
bigger hdd
more memory
includes media centre
£20 more

get bigger battery for about £12

sean-278262 22:49 05 Sep 2006

click here
4hours battery and probably the best business laptops on the planet.

Or that would be my opinion. Plus compared to a dell an IBM tends to command a slightly higher value when it comes to selling time. Check on ebay and you will find fewer Spares repair IBMs to the Dells.

VNAM75 12:27 06 Sep 2006

Thanks I think I'll get the screen upgrade but not the Media centre. Initially I did consider the 6400 but opted for the M (slimmer version) for its portabiiity.

IBM model looks very good, but cant justify the extra £200 over the similar spec Dell.

VNAM75 12:52 06 Sep 2006

Just noticed the prices are in Euros. I'm quite interested in this Lenovo model click here

So would the price I pay be 830.53/1.48 = £561

If I paid by credit card would the bank charge a currency conversion fee like they do when I've purchased items before priced in dollars.

Jackcoms 13:55 06 Sep 2006

"If I paid by credit card would the bank charge a currency conversion fee like they do when I've purchased items before priced in dollars"

Yes, if your credit card bill/statement is in a currency other than Euros.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires