need advice on agp graphics card

john the scone 11:51 22 Dec 2007

hi, i've got an aging system but cant yet afford a new one. my biggest problem is my graphics card. its an old nvidia geforce2 mx 100/200 64mb. its in the only agp slot on my vc31 motherboard. i would like to buy a more powerful card but it would have to be agp compatable as the pci slots are not the express type. also i dont want to get new power supplies and coolers etc if possible. can you still get cards to fit and where from? i can fit it myself using on line instructions but i'm worried about matching it to the motherboard, slot, pin numbers etc. any guidance would be appreciated and i've put more of my computer specs below, thanks

2ghz pentium 4, 512mb ram, xp home sp2, if you need any further details to help me let me know, thanks again

wjrt 13:36 22 Dec 2007
  Totally-braindead 11:52 23 Dec 2007

Theres little point in spending a huge amount of money on a graphics card as the 2 ghz processor just won't make best use of it. Therefore something like a FX 5500 click here or a 6200 click here would be reasonable in my opinion.

john the scone 17:14 23 Dec 2007

thanks for the guidance, but how do i check if my motherboard is 8x agp like the graphic cards are. i cant find an online manual and searching through my system doesn't reveal the speed. also i've got a 300w power supply, would that be enough for the cards suggested? thanks

Coupon 18:03 23 Dec 2007

If your motherboard isn't 8x agp (and it probably is) then the card will work fine at a lower agp speed. And your power supply is fine for the cards suggested.

Armchair 19:41 23 Dec 2007

A cheapo X1650 or 7600GS would be a good choice, given your weak CPU. I would add another 512MB RAM, too.

Armchair 20:30 23 Dec 2007

click here

click here

Dunno what they charge for delivery at those places, but that card would be a good match for your old system. 512MB VRAM is overkill, you'll never need more than 256MB, but the price is alright.

Totally-braindead 20:59 23 Dec 2007

I read that the 7600GS needs more power than you have and for that reason I wouldn't buy it. The ATI card might be ok but I doubt it. The 6200 needs between 250 and 300 watts so that should be ok, the 5500 seems to need a minimum 250 watts so that should be ok as well.
Your AGP slot may well not be an 8x slot it might be 4x but I wouldn't worry too much about it as the difference is not as great as you might think, the 8x slot is not twice as fast as the 4x slot so I wouldn't worry about it.

Armchair 21:17 23 Dec 2007

You would recommend buying a nVidia 5500 in this day and age?

Totally-braindead 21:32 23 Dec 2007

Perhaps you are right Armchair it is a rather old card but is is still better than the MX GeForce 2 he has and its cheap and he would not have to upgrade the power supply.

Neither of the cards are that great I freely admit but without upgrading the power supply none of the newer cards would run.

The 6200 is a better and newer card but even that is quite old now, not as old as the 5500 but ok for the cash.

Armchair 21:50 23 Dec 2007

Yeah, the 6200 might do well enough (I don't know what he intends to play), but I think the cards I recommended will work with a 300w PSU. They were never really performance cards, and won't draw much power. I know that the 7600GS is particularly light in it's power usage. It's very efficient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?