The Nationwide

The Brigadier 16:18 25 Jan 2009

Whilst in my local Nationwide i got the hard sell after making an enquiery about car insurance.
The person then tried to sell me Life Cover & other services offered & upgrading my Credit Card.
I felt very intimidated by the way the person tried to sell me services offered by Nationwide.
Will now probably use a different branch in future!

Forum Editor 16:38 25 Jan 2009

have just said 'Please don't offer me additional services, I'm not interested'?

The people behind the counter probably hate doing this selling as much as most of us hate being on the receiving end, but they're told to do it, so they do. All sectors of the banking industry are going through troublesome times at the moment, and they're going to try to make the most of any selling opportunity.

Just tell them you're not interested.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:43 25 Jan 2009

The Nationwide is not a club, it is a business that survives by selling things, especially now. You should not really be surprised.

G

spuds 16:58 25 Jan 2009

I shouldn't worry about it, because where ever you go, you will most likely receive the same treatment.

Considering that there is a credit crunch on at the moment, I haven't had to much trouble in being offered further credit facilities or other banking services. Only the other week, I managed to lock my debit card, so I went into my local bank for assistance. Details of the card and myself was duly taken, then I was informed that I would receive a letter in the post, regarding unlocking procedures, then came the heavy sell routine.I nearly asked if biscuits and tea were being served.

Funny really,after all that, because a few days later I received not one but three letters giving details and secret passwords for unlocking the card. It was then that I realised that I could have unlocked the card myself, without asking for the banks assistance :O(

oresome 18:21 25 Jan 2009

"Just tell them you're not interested."

I do, but wonder which is best. Listen to what they have to offer and then decline, or decline straight away so as not to waste my time and theirs.

Where I've stopped them in their tracks, some get quite offended and question how I cannot be interested when I've not heard the offer. Others look crestfallen after I've listened with feigned interest for a few minutes and then declined.

Forum Editor 18:46 25 Jan 2009

Sometimes it's not easy, I grant you, but if you say it with a smile, right at the start of the pitch you'll find it usually goes down pretty well.

The wife of a friend of mine works behind the counter of a major bank, and she dreads having to make sales pitches to customers. She says some of them are so rude it upsets her.

Colin 18:48 25 Jan 2009

This reminds me of the current Nat West Money Sense adverts – “We’re not here to sell you anything”. Yeah, right. Bur what we want you to do is to discuss your personal finances to a 12 year old in the middle of the bank with no privacy.

laurie53 19:25 25 Jan 2009

I'm glad the Nationwide are making a determined effort in these troubled times to generate business to try and increase the amount of interest they pay me on my savings!

There are two sides to every story.

Forum Editor 23:11 25 Jan 2009

"discuss your personal finances to a 12 year old" Forgive me, but what's all that about? I see nothing in the thread about discussing anything with a 12 year old.

Colin 13:02 26 Jan 2009

I was referring to the NatWest advert.

ventanas 13:58 26 Jan 2009

I know it's a difficult situation at the moment, but I still find it particularly annoying when I'm stood in a queue of about 20 people waiting for a cashier and I can actually hear them trying to sell this stuff to customers fortunate enough to have got to the till, but obviously don't want to know. Last week I actually lost my temper in a branch of HBOS becaue of this, after waiting more than 40 mins., and have complained in writing. But I doubt if it will do any good. It might make them think again though if I actually carry out my threat and move my savings elswhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?