My Magic book!

josie mayhem 10:51 03 Apr 2004

My laptop has earned a new name! It is now known as MY magic book!

At this piont I would like to say thanks to Rick, from click here, and others who kindly gave me permission to use photo's from there web sites.

With my own personal collections from the 20's - 40's, I made a small presatation, to use at work, where I work with elderly residents who have dementia's and other mental health issues.

Yesterday, I tried it out with an resident, that I have spent the last 10 months trying to build up a repal with, with little success. The effects were mind blowing, and I wished that I had a tape recorder instead of a note book, as not only did I learn about life in newcastle, but it also got her imagination going with what the world might be like in 20 years time, it was completely fasinating listen to their discription of smells and sounds, and found out many things about what sort of person they were ( a very nice one) but the after effects for them, were amazing, I've never seen that person so happy and smiling.

And they kept telling me that I had to keep my magic book, and look after it so that I could show my grandchildren! And pass on what life used to be like, so they would know how lucky they were.

For me, it was one of my most rewarding moments in my career as a carer, and why I do a job, that is little respected and badly paid.

So if you are ever asked for permission concerning use of any material you might own in this way, please say yes, has it can make so much of a difference.

P.S

sorry F.E if I put this in the wrong place.

Forum Editor 11:20 03 Apr 2004

and I've transferred it to Consumerwatch, which I feel is the better place.

Sir Radfordin 12:31 03 Apr 2004

This is an excellent example of technology being used for real advantage. So often computers (and IT) are used simply for the sake of it.

Some would argue that had you shown them real photos you would have got the same response. Perhaps you would but I'm tempted to think that there is something of a novelty factor which plays a part.

Keep up the good work, badly paid it may be but I'm sure there are some great rewards.

Forum Editor 15:54 03 Apr 2004

It's easy to overlook the fact that computers - whilst very entertaining - were primarily developed as tools. This is an excellent illustration of one being used as such - and in a way that has achieved something that might not have happened otherwise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone