Multivision warranty

SAApca 16:38 26 Feb 2004

We purchased a Multivision computer in May 2003 and the main reason was because of the price and warranty factor.

Now that they have gone bust, Digital Network plc has taken over them. When I rang their multivision number 08700 660 883 -they are saying that they will be writing to all warranty holders. In this letter they will be offering Carrera PC Warranties of £99.

However what I would like to know is that if a company goes bust, can the warranty holders not get some kind of cash incentive for the warranty they are losing out on? Why should we pay extra for a warranty that we should already have? As a consumer what protection do we have in this case?

Stuartli 17:47 26 Feb 2004

Any one who takes over a company that has folded is under no obligation to take on its liabilities, including after sales service and warranties.

Some do to raise perception of goodwill by a new owner but sadly most customers miss out.

However, judging by this story posted two days ago, the future might be looking a little brighter than you could have hoped:

click here

spuds 22:39 26 Feb 2004

If you purchased your computer via a credit card or computer finance transaction,then the credit card company or finance house is responsible for your warranty under the Consumer Credit Act. You are not obliged to pay out further monies to another third party, so as to maintain warranty cover.If you paid by cash/direct debit or cheque, then that is a very different matter,as it doesn't come within the Consumer Credit Act.

The administrator of Multivision is trying to salvage the business at present,with all options considered, so it may pay to wait a little longer.If you have purchased by c/c or computer finance, then I would advice that you notify your provider, requesting 'written'information, as to their proposed actions, if a warranty claim is probable, within the terms and conditions of the existing pre-purchased warranty.

echoes 15:55 29 Feb 2004

Bearing in mind the message from SAApca, what about those of us that bought a Multivision computer with a six year cover (3 years onsight and 3 years back to base). I did not buy a separate warranty, it was part of the deal.

spuds 16:38 29 Feb 2004

Again, if you purchased via a credit card or computer finance package, then take it up with your finance provider, under the Consumer Credit Act. They are responsible. If you purchased via a cash or direct debit deal [cheque card] then you may have lost any entitlements, unless the administrator offers an alternative deal.Note, I said administrator and not Carrera or Direct Computers.Their scheme is just another warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?