multivision and problems with new vision320....

Jimbeef 22:20 09 Jan 2003
  Jimbeef 22:20 09 Jan 2003

my father in law bought a new PC from them a week ago. All was OK except when you tried to connect to the net - using Freeserve. The modem dials but then the screen freezes - the only solution is to re boot.
It is set up OK with Freeserve, so we tried Multivision tech support. They...
1) sent an XP servise pack 1. It did not load.
2)they sent another one. We then noticed that the copy disc of XP that came with the computer said 'service pack included.
3) they then suggested the modem driver needed changing. They gave us an address to find it - it was wrong. I found it and loaded it on - eventually - the instructions Tech support gave were also wrong.
4)it still does the same.

so far they have failed to return 4 calls, have been left 8 messages, and we are no nearer a solution. Surely a quality control check at point of manufacture should show a faulty modem - if that is what it is. Multivision seem v.reluctant to send out an engineer.

Anyone out there have any ideas what the problem may be, and where to go next with the company?

Thanks in advance....

Lú-tzé 08:42 10 Jan 2003

Try removing the modem from the device manager, reboot and direct it to the new drivers when the "add new hardware" wizard appears.

Dade 09:14 10 Jan 2003

Do Freeserve provide any software such as a dialer program or something?
Faulty modems are quite rare, have you tried setting up a standard dial-up networking set up for another ISP. The yahoo one is best for this set the number to 08456091354, username yahoo with no password.

Multivision Computers 14:27 10 Jan 2003

Jimbeef

If you could let me know your order or warranty number I will have one of our technical advisors contact you with regard to this.

Mark

Jimbeef 23:18 10 Jan 2003

Mv finally contacted my father in law late this afternoon - it is interesting they had time to read your forum but not to respond to the various messages that were left on their technical support - which this week has been an answerphone service.
After talking through the problem with my father in law, they concluded it 'is probably a faulty modem'
they then suggested they would send a new one in the post and asked my father in law to install it himself.
is this standard practice, and will it affect the warrenty if a non certified engineer opens the case and works on the machine ?

Lú-tzé 08:23 11 Jan 2003

When I got my MV the modem was not responding and after checking that it was seated ok, had new drivers etc. I called MV and was sent a new modem by post. It arrived the next day and all has been fine since.

To be fair, I suggested that if they sent me a modem I would install it - I was too impatient to wait for a service engineer.

Installing a modem is not difficult, but can be a little daunting for a novice. If your father-in-law needs advice let us know - we can give a step-by-step guide.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?