Multifunction printer

chocolate cake 16:34 02 Dec 2006

Mother in law wants a multifunction printer/scanner/fax machine for christmas. Can ayone here recommend one that will cost between £50 - £100.00.

She currently runs an HP printer but the ink cartridges are a little expensive so anything that loads cheapish ink cartridges would be good. I won't be able to persuade her about recycled cartridges either.

She's got her eye on the Lexmark X5470 but I've got worries about Lexmark and don't want to get her something that will need replacing after 6 months.

sean-278262 17:08 02 Dec 2006

DO NOT GET A LEXMARK.

They are expensive to run. The cheapest cartridge for either of my 2 here is £10 for about 400 pages tops.

Canon appears to offer the cheapest inks if you plan to use cheaper remakes.

wjrt 19:16 02 Dec 2006

staples are doing an instore promo.HP3110 for £99 which is £50 off. for cheaper HP cartridges try
click here

Totally-braindead 22:33 02 Dec 2006

Agree with the others. The Lexmarks I have seen give excellent printouts but at a price. Their cartridges are the most expensive out there.
Suggest an Epson as they have some of the cheapest cartridges out there but I do find them very noisy compared with the likes of an HP. All my Epsons including the 2 I have now are rather noisy but are cheap to run and give good printouts.

PS Also avoid the Dell printers they are rebadged Lexmarks and their carts are dear as well.

chocolate cake 22:47 02 Dec 2006

Totally braindead
I'd heard that about them and also that they ensnare your system being notoriously difficult to uninstall when they do go wrong. Do you know anything about this?

Totally-braindead 22:53 02 Dec 2006

I've never heard of any printer ensnaring your PC. Do you mean a Lexmark a Dell or an Epson?

chocolate cake 22:56 02 Dec 2006

Lexmark

Vangeliska 22:58 02 Dec 2006

You can usually get a Lexmark printer with a cartridge cheaper than you can buy a replacement cartridge!

Totally-braindead 23:02 02 Dec 2006

If it does and I have not heard of this before then it probably caused by some of the addon bits, not the main printer driver.
Its not really relevant anyway as you did say you wanted something cheap to run and Lexmarks are definately not that.
The Epsons are good but as I said they are noisy compared to the likes of HP. It depends how much that would bother her. I use my printer a couple of times a week and I'm used to it but if you've had a nice quiet printer before it may really annoy you.

Totally-braindead 23:05 02 Dec 2006

Have a look at the PCA magazine for their recommendations.

beynac 23:09 02 Dec 2006

I've got an Epson Stylus DX3850. Noisy - yes, a bit. Slow - yes, a bit. What the heck. I'm deaf and not in a hurry! Seriously, I'm very pleased with it. It does the job and cost about £65 (I think it's a bit cheaper now).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?