MS Office 2003 EULA - What's the crack?

  GibsonSt19 23:42 21 May 2004

Hi people, I'm still in the market for Office 2003 Professional and have been offered a copy by a training establishment who have surplus to requirements. When going for this thing, is it the EULA I need to prove the software's mine and legal to use on my PC. Basically, what I want to know is if I buy second hand software, what do I need in order to stay legitimate?

Thanks lots,

  Djohn 00:21 22 May 2004

You will need the CD itself, though if the original is damaged in any way a copy of the CD should be OK but to be on the safe side you should be given the original though damaged CD as well.

The most important requirement is the genuine "Product key" this should be on a Microsoft sticker and not something typed or hand written. The copy of the program should have been removed from the sellers PC and be eligible for activation. If not sure check the number with Microsoft, they will confirm.

The surplus to requirement copy from a training establishment will not be legal for home use as it will have been issued under a different licence code/agreement. j.

  spuds 01:00 22 May 2004

The surplus to requirement copy would or should be OEM, and as Djohn as suggested would be under a different licencing agreement, unless the training establishment had purchased their stock from a third party source [someone like ebuyer or cdrom cellar].

Best to check first, and make sure the original Microsoft product code sticker is available.

  Forum Editor 09:19 22 May 2004

but just to confirm - you'll need the Microsoft product key.

MS Office 2003 Professional - single user version - comes in a plastic folder-type case with two CDs . On the inside there's a yellow Product key sticker. If you can get hold of the whole thing in that form it would be best, but if you can't, it's the CD Key that's all-important. The Training company will almost certainly have purchased a multiple licence from Microsoft, and technically they shouldn't be giving you a copy for home use - as Djohn has already said. Their licence will have been for the business.

  GibsonSt19 09:58 22 May 2004

So, does that mean it would be illegal to purchase this software from these guys, even if I have the CD-Key?

  GibsonSt19 10:00 22 May 2004

" This software is part of surplus stock we’ve acquired from a training company. When we say surplus, we mean software which the training company has intended to use to meat future training requirements. These disks were originally designed so that delegates on the courses could take them home and practice and, if required, the delegates could then buy from the training company. However, due to the fact that not all the delegates turned up for training, the training company found they were gradually amassing quite a large amount of unused training software. We have taken a random sample from the software we acquired from the company (which, due to the fact we've opened them we can't sell), and tested them to make sure there are no time limits, make sure the serial numbers correspond to the disks concerned, to make sure all on-line-user agreements are available and, to make sure they work properly and, to make sure they are the full versions. We hope this answers your and, any other questions you may have. You’ll also receive: 1 printed copy of the training companies license overview 1 printed copy of the End User License Agreement (EULA) We must send out the printed copy of the license (EULA) with the software under the terms of Microsoft’s guidelines and, also under Copyright law. This is to enable the purchaser the ability to use the software. "

  Forum Editor 10:12 22 May 2004

that the software was for sale - your original post wasn't quite clear on that.

The fact that you would be paying for the product makes it even more important that you receive the proper documentation, and from your last post it seems that you would. The fact that you will receive a printed copy of the Training company's licence, plus a printed copy of the end user EULA sounds fine, and I don't think you need to worry - provided you receive the original Microsoft CDs. Don't buy copied CDs under any circumstances whatsoever - with or without the EULA.

  GibsonSt19 13:08 22 May 2004

I've also found the same item with same description on eBay...

click here

Your thoughts, as always are much appreciated.

  wee eddie 16:30 22 May 2004

The price is so wide of the mark that I would be very careful.

The methods of payment are designed to be difficult to trace (the comment about the PayPal surcharge is designed to tip you away from that method)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?