Moving To North Wales

Mark5001 00:15 05 Jun 2009

I am moving to Deiniolen in North Wales in July. Anyone out there local that can tell me about the broadband I can expect to get in that area. I presently am on virgin 20mb and it's great. Virgin have no cable service there as far as I can see, so BT will be the option I must take. I do some work online and will need to do some research for my new job at RAF Valley, so going online is essential.Thanks.

Forum Editor 00:28 05 Jun 2009

to Consumerwatch.

Stuartli 00:37 05 Jun 2009

Try entering the exchange which will serve your property at:

click here

for information on the services available.

I have a friend in Anglesey who seems to have a pretty good broadband service, so will ask him about it later today (I've used his laptop whilst at his property and it was pretty speedy).

that no one can tell you simply yes or no. It all depends on how far away you are from the exchange and what sort of equipment is installed in it.

Stuartli's link will provide you with the best answer you're going to get

BT 08:20 05 Jun 2009

Just hope that BT can get your phone line set up. My niece who lives near Aberystwyth has been waiting for months to have her phone connected since she moved house. The lines are there (the previous owner had a phone!) they just seem incapable of doing their bit at the exchange to connect the service.

laurie53 09:48 05 Jun 2009

"BT will be the option I must take"

Why?

There are other non-cable providers.

If you are on-base at Valley they will almost certainly have their own network which can be used for official research.

Clapton is God 10:04 05 Jun 2009

I understand that the internet hasn't yet arrived in North Wales.

They still use semaphore flags instead (in Welsh).

Looks like your luck's out. ;-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:31 05 Jun 2009

You have my deepest sympathy.

G

Stuartli 11:43 05 Jun 2009

There'll be wails of protests at that comment, especially in the Menai Straits area...:-)

Zaphod 3 11:46 05 Jun 2009

According to Sam Knows you will be on the Llanberis exchange and you can have broadband at approx 3.5 meg.

Mark5001 13:00 05 Jun 2009

Thanks all that is helpful. I will have to wait and see what I get when connected.Looks like I will have to learn semaphore (in Welsh) then:-( Never mind be at work most of the time. Can't wait to get my hands on those hawks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?