More free P&P requirements on ebay....

dagnammit 23:08 28 Jul 2009

click here

Easy enough to understand..... Sellers will ALL increase the listing price of their items to cover postage and sustain a profit. As the item price is higher that means ebay's percentage is bigger. Just their way of taking a slice of P&P charge.

rdave13 23:20 28 Jul 2009

That's business for you. If it's too expensive with free p&p then, as a customer, don't buy.
Simple.

Forum Editor 23:24 28 Jul 2009

Actually it's their way of trying to attract more buyers to categories which are currently experiencing decreasing sales volumes. research has shown them that more people are likely to buy in those categories if the first domestic option is free P&P.

Like many other businesses Ebay has seen sales volumes fall, and the company is reacting by thinking of ways to attract more sales.

spuds 00:13 29 Jul 2009

At present DVD sales are in the main P&P free (as per eBay ruling), but some sellers are trying to obtain their costs by other means, like adding a postal charge as part of the listing, possibly under description, or buyer must wait for invoice etc.

I purchase quite a number of dvd's per week, and on a number of occasions I have been offered 'faster delivery' for a surcharge (after the winning bid). Some sellers have had a low winning bid on their free P&P items, then have contacted the winner, stating that the item as now found to be faulty or lost (after the auction)!.

Some people have tried to receive payment via other means, other than via eBay and PayPal, so as to reduce their costs.

I think another thing that made eBay change the rules, was the high postage charges some people wanted for an item, so as to perhaps cover any loses. In the case of some sales, the seller's would not combine postal charges, but on receipt, all the items were sent in the same package. I have had cd's and dvd's removed from their cases, and sent in a plain envelope with a standard stamp, which in some cases have incurred a Royal Mail surcharge fees.

Thankfully, there are a lot of honest people out there, who honour a deal, and at the same time make a loss on the sale. But that is one of the things eBay is all about, you win some, you lose some. And sellers and buyers should know this!.

dagnammit 09:23 29 Jul 2009

I had a mobile phone listed at £170 and £10 postages (special del only) and no one bid over several days... I then changed the listing to £180 with free postage and it was bought within a few hours. As my postage charge was incorporated into the final price ebay then got 10% of it.

ebay need to remember that they need to keep the sellers happy... it's them who pay ebay not the buyer. All it would have took from ebay is an email advocating offering free postage or a reminder during the listing process.

Incidentally I was wanting to sell a games console but factoring in postage and ebay fees it was more profitable to trade it in to a shop on the High Street than sell it online.

Jafe 10:49 29 Jul 2009

Places like play.com offer free p&p, making ebayers who would charge p&p look silly trying to sell a second hand DVD for only alittle less than the retail and then charging p&p.

spuds 11:34 29 Jul 2009

How do you work out, that "the seller pay eBay and not the buyers". Without buyers, there would be no eBay ;o)

Perhaps on a sweeter note, I purchased a 'as new' rucksack last year from a person living approx 20 miles from me. Postage for the item was £6.50 (as required by Royal Mail). Because I was willing to collect the item (nice ride out) and pay cash on inspection, the person threw in 6 fishing dvd's, which they were unable to sell on eBay. Basically the person just wanted to get rid of a load of stuff that had not been used for ages. As the person had young children, I gave them a reasonable donation. So in the end everyone was happy and perhaps surprised as to events!.

dagnammit 12:02 29 Jul 2009

Without the sellers there's nothing to buy.

Jafe 13:08 29 Jul 2009

i agree with dagnammit, the seller pays the ebay fees not the buyer.

if i sell something for a £1 and it cost me £2 to list it, i dont think the buyer would pay me the extra pound.

GaT7 15:08 29 Jul 2009

If you do the math, the difference is actually minuscule.

On average, I sell one item every 1-2 months, most often than not providing free delivery irrespective of the item's value or postage cost.

On the other hand, if you're a hardcore seller this may seem to be leaning towards eBay making more profits. However, as has already been mentioned, one is likely to attract more sales, thus making it a bit of a non-issue in reality. G

Boghound 09:47 30 Jul 2009

It never ceases to amuse me, that when there is a posting about Ebay, it's always the sellers that are the "bad boys". Just have a look at the new "important changes" that Ebay are introducing in the Autumn. It creates a lot of work and agro for the regular sellers.

As for the remark by the "Forum Editor" about Ebay's profits being down. Have a look at the last accounts they submitted....My heart bleeds for them!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?