Mono Laser Printer Advice Needed

rawprawn 12:39 24 Jan 2006

I write a news letter for an organisation to which I belong, and we are thinking of buying a cheap laser printer. The questions are, how cheap can I get one, how much are replacement cartridges, and how long does a cartridge last (How many printed A4 pages)We don't have much money to spare so I need to be careful. I would be grateful for any advice.

amonra 13:30 24 Jan 2006

I've had a Samsung ML 1520 for ages now. Used every day for general printing, refilled the toner cartridge 4 times no problems. Cost me about £50 from Computer World. As long as you dont expect graphics quality printing, I can thoroughly recommend it. I think EBuyer has a later model for the same price, check it out.

spuds 13:43 24 Jan 2006

Laser printers, usually Samsung are available from time to time for around £49.99 from places like PCW,Staples and Ebuyer.The cost of the toner cartridges are approx £35.00/£60.00 depending on model, but I believe €dstowe knows a cheaper and better method of replacements. Regarding how long a cartridge will last, I couldn't really say, as I am still using the original one supplied with my Samsung ML-4500, and that's been over a couple of years now.Shows how much I use the laser printer!.

€dstowe 13:53 24 Jan 2006

Hello.

Yes, I have a number of Samsung ML1210 printers which have given excellent service even though they are coming to the end of their lives. They have all printed many, many thousands of pages. One has worn out but, I am not complaining at all. It gave excellent value. I'll soon be looking for some more. The ML1210 is now obsolete.

Regarding the toner, I have found that you can refill the cartridge about ten times before the print quality is noticably poor (provided you aren't expecting fine art quality) and I get bulk toner from click here and fill that into the used cartridge after unscrewing the cover. It's easy to do but be careful about draughts and sneezing.

dmc727 14:13 24 Jan 2006

Rawprawn. I’ve been looking at this very subject and doing some research and this has my eye at the moment. It is a best buy in US.

Brother HL-2040. Reviewer says… “With its low price tag, the Brother HL-2040 makes a good personal laser for anyone with low-volume, everyday printing needs.”

Can be purchased here at Stables at cost of: £94.99.

Replacements……….

Brother TN2000 Toner Cartridge, Black: Cost £34.99.

Brother DR2000 Drum, Black: Cost £49. 99.

Toner cartridge, on average, lasts for 2,500 pages. (1.4p per page on my sums)

Drum lasts, on average, for 12,000 pages. (0.41p per page on my sums)

Personally, the cost of the printer (within reason) is not the main issue but reliability and printing costs - for mono, when using brand products, under 2p a page appears good value.

rawprawn 16:05 24 Jan 2006

Thank you all for the information, I will work my way through it and try to come to a price for one which I can propose buying to the club. It seems to me that I can get a printer around £50 and it would print at a cost between 1.4p and 0.5p per page depending on what we could outlay. I am assuming that printers come already loaded ? It seems the refills can be almost as expensive as the printer.

Thanks again.

spuds 16:28 24 Jan 2006

The toner cartridge for the Samsung ML-4500 was provided. It was suppose to have been a 'trial' cartridge, but so far it seems to be lasting very well.

rawprawn 16:38 24 Jan 2006

Thanks, if I get a printer loaded it should last us quite a while I print about 90 pages, 8 times a year. My own Cannon inkjet lasts no time at all.

Mikè 18:50 24 Jan 2006

click here an interesting site if refilling is contemplated.

spuds 20:23 24 Jan 2006

Mike- I tried the melt & pour method on a Canon E30 photocopier cartridge. Made a right mess of things :o)

Should mention that an apple corer make a very good 'hot melt' device.

€dstowe 20:43 24 Jan 2006

If you look carefully at the picture you will notice screws holding the top on the cartridge. It is easy to remove these with a screwdriver to gain access to the inside.

Why go to all that trouble and potential mess melting out a hole? Talk about make a mountain out of a molehill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?