monitor

crazedshopper 18:51 06 Oct 2006

hi
My IBM CRT is on the blink (again). so thinking it was time to change i borrowed a Dell lap top to see what LCD's are like and i hate it .

the screen colours are limited vague& wishy washy and the whole thing has this grey pearlized sheen about it .It was so bright and when i turned the brightness down to a less blinding level the colours went even duller than before.BTW its a Dell latitude D600

this is the first LCD display ive seen and im weeping in my cornflakes about it.I really wanted something lighter and thinner than a CRT but what a depressing screen.

tell me please are all LCD displays as like this?

I lost interest in shopping due to the fadey washed out greyness so you can see how serious this has got ;).

If i must stick with a CRT what are the pitfalls i must avoid when buying?

anskyber 18:55 06 Oct 2006

Go and have a look at a few in places like PC World. there are some very good LCDs out there indeed. Its a very personal thing and seeing with your own eyes is much better than any recommendation here.

Totally-braindead 18:57 06 Oct 2006

No all LCDs are not like this. They vary enormously. Whay I would advice is pop in to your nearest PC World and have a look, they always have a few on display.

Totally-braindead 18:58 06 Oct 2006

Meant to say that as well anskyber. A screen I like you may not crazedshopper, its very much a personal thing which is another reason to look before you buy.

crazedshopper 19:03 06 Oct 2006

sorry i should have mentioned that i am totally housebound.

ive heard that once you have set up equipment to try it some places wont take it back .PC world for instance. My computer was a gift thats how i got it.
terrible expensive and expensive customer care which is why im a voiding IBM

Totally-braindead 19:12 06 Oct 2006

The problem is, a laptop screen to me at least looks totally different to the TFT I'm using just now. My screen is bright, clear and I really like it. Without actually seeing it yourself its differcult to say if you'd like it.

I don't suppose you could ask your friends/relatives if they have computers, if they could bring their TFT down with them for you to have a look at.

Failing that you could just buy another CRT monitor. You can get a reasonable one at a very good price now as everyone wants a TFT.

Totally-braindead 19:18 06 Oct 2006

Heres some CRT monitors click here and as you can see they are a lot cheaper than they used to be. Of the two the novatech one looks to be better value than the Hyundia one but it differcult to say without seeing it - thats the problem - and also just because I like it doesn't mean you will.

Personally I've moved away from my CRT onto one of the new TFTs and I would never move back again.

anskyber 19:26 06 Oct 2006

click here

For example, the Viewsonic and LG range are spoken very highly of by many. My (2) LCDs are bright, colourful and accurate so I am biased.

crazedshopper 23:18 07 Oct 2006

thanks for your replies.as you say unless i see them
i wont know ,theres no getting around that so ill stick with a crt.

Dizzy Bob 23:25 07 Oct 2006

PC World have an excellent 19" widescreen viewsonic monitor for £139

Viewsonic are, in my opinion, excellent.

HTH

DB

josie mayhem 00:50 08 Oct 2006

I wouldn't take a laptop screen as a marker.

My laptop screen is no where near the quaility of my TFT (sony SDM-E76D) I would check to see if your graphic card supports DVI, if it does you get even better quaility picture, but not all screens have this connection so need to check if you are going to go this way...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?