mobo and cpu

hzhzhzhz 23:24 22 Jan 2007

any recommendations please on a mobo/cpu for 350 pounds. AMD or Intel. They will be used for gaming in the near future.

GaT7 23:59 22 Jan 2007

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 click here - £200

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe click here - £137

You may get a better value motherboard (like this MSI one click here) but don't go for anything less than a Core 2 Duo E6600 (the next one up - the E6700 click here - is too expensive anyway).

Of course, you'll need the other components to be compatible too - e.g. the mobos suggested will NOT work with older DDR PC3200/2700/2100 ram or AGP graphics cards, though you may get other manufacturers' mobos (like Asrock) that have compatibility with both older & newer memory & GPU interfaces. G

hzhzhzhz 00:09 23 Jan 2007

Thanks Crossbow7,I'm going to build a new system so all other bits will be bought according to mobo/cpu selection.
Ok, so do you suggest I buy a 6600 in preference to an AMD of similar price?.I did say AMD or Intel but I've always been an AMD fan.
I obviously want reliability with the mobo.Do you use the P5W yourself?.

hzhzhzhz 00:23 23 Jan 2007

just read a review on the 6600 and it looks the one for me. Not too sure about the mobo though.Any other recommendations?.

GaT7 00:26 23 Jan 2007

"I'm going to build a new system..."
Didn't know initially - thought you may be upgrading.

"Ok, so do you suggest I buy a 6600 in preference to an AMD of similar price?"
I was an Intel fan then changed to AMD, but I'm back with Intel after they released their Core 2 Duos. A few articles/benchmarks - click here, click here, click here - that you should read (but probably not in their entirety - there are other things to life!)

"I obviously want reliability with the mobo. Do you use the P5W yourself?"
Asus deluxe mobos are some of the best, but if you don't need all those features you could opt for a lesser one, or equivalent from a reknowned company. And no, I'm quite far back in computing terms with a Gigabyte mobo & AMD Athlon 2800+. All the best with build : ) G

GaT7 00:40 23 Jan 2007

I meant all the best with the new build.

A sentence from one of the reviews that kind of sums up the Core 2 Duos superiority: "If you take a close look at our benchmark results, you'll see that the 2.66GHz E6600 is faster than an FX-62 in almost all cases and costs around a third of the price." The 'third of a price' doesn't hold good today, but near enough - the FX-62 is £514 click here. G

hzhzhzhz 00:48 23 Jan 2007

Hey, thanks Crossbow7 for your input. The 6600 looks a belter.I might just go for the P5W and see how it performs.
I've beeen wanting to build a new pc for a while now but I hate buying bits that give endless problems plus the fact that I'm a bit indisisive(is that spelt right?)lol.
cheers.

I'm using a 360 at the mo to play FEAR coz I haven't got a capable pc. I cant wait to get a mouse to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires