A moan about Time Computers.

bengo 16:02 12 Mar 2003

For the last 2/3 weeks I have been looking for a notebook and thought I had found exactly what I wanted at Time. (The advert was in PC Advisor), anyway, I phone up to order it today and wondered what extra costs were involved.
1st £49.99 for delivery (I thought this was very expensive. 2nd £49.99 for the recovery disc, how can they charge this ??? the computer will have Windows XP Home pre installed so, if I ever need to do a reformat, I have no disc unless I am prepared to pay this extortionate price. I haven't bought a new computer in years and assumed I would get a Windows disc automatically. Is this normal practice ??? Do places like PC World operate the same system. I would be very interested in any replies.

Kate B 16:18 12 Mar 2003

bengo, I think the delivery charge is steep, and I think the charge for a recovery disc outrageous... go somewhere else for your machine, or alternatively, you might want to check with other suppliers and see if they charge for a recovery disc (I very much doubt it). Then phone PC World and tell them that nobody else charges for a recovery disc and that you'll be going elsewhere. I bet they at least chuck in the disc for free.

Kate B 16:20 12 Mar 2003

oops, of course, I meant Time, not PC World ...

bengo 16:25 12 Mar 2003

Thanks, will contact some other suppliers tomorrow and try and get some idea of what is and is not available with a new PC. May need to go to the pub for a drink soon to get over the shock of Times response to me.

g0slp 16:28 12 Mar 2003

Will be interesting to see their response

powerless 16:30 12 Mar 2003

Yeah what put me off about Time was the addtional charges for these "Recovery" discs...

Also the warrantys.

Me went to evesham and brought my computer, with the "Recovery" CD's thrown in and a warranty that Time couldnt better without £250+ (or whatever it was at the time)...

I stuck with Evesham.

When you did the math, Evesham were cheaper.

In Times defense, its expensive stuff these recovery discs.

medicine hat 16:34 12 Mar 2003

If Time don't know their Pentiums from their Athlons ( click here ) how can you really trust them?

Time - Chris 18:16 12 Mar 2003

Hi there

Our reload disc policy as been mentioned on these forums before. Below I've put an explanation. As for the delivery charge it is cheaper than many of our competitors and one of the most competitive in the industry.

medicine hat - ooops! Thanks for pointing that out I'll get it sorted asap.

I'm afraid I've got to leave the office now but if you have any queries I will answer them in the morning.

Otherwise feel free to e-mail [email protected]

Cheers - Chris

TIME GROUP RELOAD DISK POLICY
Changes in our mutual agreement with Microsoft to reduce piracy mean that the Time Group now pre-installs the OEM version of Windows onto its computers but cannot supply a separate Windows ME/XP recovery CD (this is only available to those who purchase the full retail version of Windows).

The Time Group understands that some customers may require a facility to easily restore their computers back to the original factory settings by completely reloading all of the pre-installed software.

Over the past year, we have invested in a software development team that has developed a patented process of doing this from a completely hidden partition on the hard disk. This process is unique and the facility is enabled via a RELOAD CD that is bundled FREE with all time support packages. The reload CD does not include any Windows XP software programs and is different to a Backup CD (which includes a copy of the preloaded software including Windows XP).

One of the advantages of this reload CD approach is that, because there is no Windows software on the CD itself, the risk of piracy is eliminated. The CD simply includes software that enables the hidden software on the hard disk to be re-installed. The old Backup CD mechanism limits the software bundle size to just what could be restored by one CD and is more prone to piracy. For example, a backup CD can be used to install a pirate copy of Windows on the same make of PC even when it is encrypted.

The CD is available to purchase when a support package is not taken and we hope to build additional features into this product in the future. Over 85% of our customers take up some sort of support package. Some of the revenue from the support packs and reload CD are put back into further software and product development.
Overall we feel the benefits of this reload system are sufficient to justify this cost, whilst at the same time allowing us to work with Microsoft to reduce the risk of Piracy. Using our re-load CD it is impossible to copy Windows XP onto any other PC. It is also important to note that over 85% of our customers get this facility free when they buy a support package.'-

bengo 20:51 12 Mar 2003

Thank you for your reply. I can confirm that if I was to take out an extended warranty, I was offered a full back up disc free of charge. However, I still feel that if I purchase a computer with a version of Windows installed, I should get a CD that will enable me to perform any actions I require and need a CD. I have no real problem with the delivery charge, however it is considerably more that places like Novatech. I still feel that if I have a legal copy of Windows XP on MY computer, I should also have a full disc to enable me to do any back up/ re installs I wish to do.
Because of this, I will not be bothering your company any more and will buy from one of your competitors. One good thing came out of this, I was so disappointed at not getting a laptop ordered, I did go to the pub and, probably had one too many.

davidg_richmond 21:24 12 Mar 2003

it does sound daft that the CDs don't come with the PC, i know many suppliers who do this free of charge who also use a hidden partition system, or simply give the image cds with the machine. from experience, few people seem to ever use the restore function, but those who are without the cd would be forced to buy a new copy of windows should something unfortunate happen (or purchase the cd at a later date).

zanwalk 21:44 12 Mar 2003

If you have a copy of Drive Image/Norton Ghost/TrueImage, you would then be able to make your own restore CD's, as you are able to save the image in CD sized (650Mb) files. A seperate partition would be needed to save this to if the CD writer is not supported by the imaging software. A copy of TrueImage is available on the cover disc in the current issue of PC Answers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?