Mis-Pricing and refusal to honour stated price

BigCoolBob 13:19 28 Mar 2008

I went to a large electrical store this morning and was very pleasantly surprised to see a 750gb external hard drive priced at £79.99. This price was on the shelf label below it and was also on a sticker on the product itself. I checked the labels and they definately related to this 750gb drive.

However, when I got the product to the checkout, it scanned through as £98.99. I mentioned the sticker and the shelf label that both clearly stated £79.99 and that this was the price I wanted to pay. They refused to honour this price even though it was stated at £79.99.

Is this right or under consumer law do I have a right to purchase at the stated price?

hssutton 13:30 28 Mar 2008

I think you will find that you have no right to purchase at that stated price. All you can do is politely tell them what to do with it, as I did in Jessops just recently.

lisa02 13:41 28 Mar 2008

They do not have to sell to you but they could be done for misleading prices if they fail to display the correct higher price.

Usually if you speak to a manager and be nice they will mark it down for you.

lisa02 13:50 28 Mar 2008

click here for more info... I can't seem to navigate consumerdirect which is who you would report it to in England.

lofty29 14:31 28 Mar 2008

THis has come up so many times, there is no cumpulsion for anybody to sell, or anyone to buy, anything at a displayed price. the wording used to be "that it was an invitation to treat" though I think that it has changed now. As far as misleading goes that is very hard to prove all they have to say is that it was a mistake, or the bog cleaner did it.

wjrt 14:40 28 Mar 2008
  Totally-braindead 15:19 28 Mar 2008

I always thought that the retailer had a legal obligation to sell at the price displayed but due to a thread I read last year I have discovered I am completely wrong.

The Forum Editor explained it all and was quite clear about it.

They have no obligation to sell at the price displayed in law and theres not anything you can do about it. Other than to inform Consumer Direct or Trading Standards if you point out the error and they refuse to update it.

BigCoolBob 16:07 28 Mar 2008

Thanks very much everyone.

I didnt create a fuss in the shop as although I was under the impression that they had to sell, I wasnt 100% so rather than start a battle royale only to be shot down in flames and arrested for causing a public disturbance I just mentioned that Id seen it cheaper online than their 'new' price and would buy it there instead.

They were pleasant enough in the shop and I have no real gripes with them at all, just a pity my negotiating skills are not upto scratch!

anchor 16:48 28 Mar 2008

What has been said is correct, although I have found that many "good" stores will, realising that it is their error, sell you the item at the lower price.

That is assuming that it is not ridiculously low, which was not the case here.

LABMAN 22:06 28 Mar 2008

In the last year I have purchased at least two itmes from Currys that were advertised cheaper than they scanned at the check out,on both occasions they sold them at the lower price with no problems and absoloutely no hassle other than an assistant going to check the price/details on the shelf tickets to make sure my facts were correct.

spuds 00:31 29 Mar 2008

I generally find that some stores will honour the price displayed, even though are not obliged to sell the item.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?