Minimum specs for Windows 7 Laptop

davecooper 17:58 23 Mar 2014

I am going to replace my current ageing XP laptop and before I consider anything, I would like to have an idea of the sort of specification I need. I want Windows 7, I use it all day at work so want something familiar. I don't do any gaming or video editing etc but do use sound recording and writing software such as Audacity, Guitar Pro, Cakewalk Sonar etc. I also have a couple of websites I update regularly. Apart from that it is all the normal stuff, iTunes, MS Office, emails, web browsing. Is there anything I should be considering with regards to processor speed, RAM, graphics etc. HDD will be 500GB+, screen 15"+ but battery life is unimportant as is size and weight, the machine will not go out of the house.

Woolwell 18:12 23 Mar 2014

Your first snag is getting a W7 laptop without having W8. The major manufacturers will supply with W8. You may well need to look at companies like Novatech to get a W7 laptop or remove W8 and then install W7 which may not be easy.

spuds 19:58 23 Mar 2014

You could check out Ebuyer, who sell a number of operating system free machines, mainly Zoomstorm products.

Not sure if Dell still supply operating system or own choice laptop's nowadays. I know previously they did, including giving the buyer the option of specifying a selection of own build parts.

davecooper 11:37 24 Mar 2014

A work colleague has done a good job of persuading me to go the 8.1 route. If I do, it will certainly make life easier from a buying point of view. I am sure I will get used to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?