Mini laptops

bluto1 21:26 27 Jul 2009

Are the 10" minilaptops good for storing photographs? I have several thousands of family photos going back many years and I'm thinking of a safe place off-line to view, edit etc them

Forum Editor 22:54 27 Jul 2009

Any computer can store photographs, but if you want to keep them away from an online machine (why would you want to do that, anyway?) you might consider a portable hard drive. These devices are relatively inexpensive now - you can pick up a decent 500Gb USB drive for around £50.

A small-screen laptop/Netbook is hardly ideal for photo editing, and I can see no reason why you shouldn't do the job on your existing computer - the fact that it is on-line isn't going to make any difference.

Quiet Life 23:14 27 Jul 2009

The 10inch netbooks tend to have 120gb or 160gb hard drives which is more than adequate for storing many thousands of photos.
The screens are pretty sharp but staring at them for long periods doing photo editing would be a strain. They all have VGA output so you can connect to another monitor or a TV with VGA input for showing a slide show.
These netbooks are very portable and have a reasonable performance and if you have a need for such a machine a wortwhile acquisition.
As the Forum Editor said if it is just storage then a portable hard drive is very much cheaper. For a little more a media drive would give you the benefit of various connections to a TV and a remote for playing slide shows etc.

ztronicsalien 10:51 28 Jul 2009

These mini laptops are commonly called netbooks. Yeah you can have these as market is flooded with good options:
Dell Inspiron Mini 1011 10" Netbook
Toshiba PLL25U-009018 mini NB205-N210 10.1" Netbook
HP Mini 1030NR 10.2" Notebook
Acer Aspire ONE AOD150-1577 10.1" Netbook

Regards
servicedotztronics

bluto1 15:16 28 Jul 2009

Thank you everybody. I'll tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?