The Mini Cooper S ?

freaky 22:20 15 Oct 2006

The Mini Cooper S has been available for a couple of years now, and the new model is arriving shortly.

Anybody have any experience of driving the existing model ?

anskyber 22:30 15 Oct 2006

Yes. I sold a BMW Z4 for one in May this year and I have never regretted it. This may sound odd but a friend sold his Porsche Boxster and has kept his Cooper S for the same reason.

Some people think it is important to have a big car or a prestige car or whatever. I drive my cars for the fun and quality of build. OK its a Mini to some folks but drive one and see why I and others get hooked.

[email protected] 22:46 15 Oct 2006

Fantstic little car as far as design goes but the build quality is terrible (well mine was and I know of a few others with this problem).

In twelve months of ownership it spent 73 days back at the dealer having faults rectified and even they could not repair it and they bought it back off me. I have lost all faith in their cars and now own a Ford Focus which IS the best car I have owned to date.

I don't doubt others will think the Mini is a wonderful vehicle but that was my experience of ownership and I would think carefully and see what others have experienced before lashing out such a large sum on what is really a pretty basic small car.

This could help. click here

anskyber 22:47 15 Oct 2006

Err, sorry but this is mine. click here

Jimmy14 23:13 15 Oct 2006

nice car:D

Forum Editor 23:45 15 Oct 2006

Dark Green it was, I bought it second-hand, and went like the clappers. Those were the days.

Strawballs 00:37 16 Oct 2006

FE you are now showing your age.

Stuartli 09:11 16 Oct 2006

Although this thread has little to do with computing I must point out that I learned to drive in an Austin 1100 but, when I got the test date, the car wasn't available.

So I eventually persuaded a work colleague to lend me his coveted Mini Cooper (original) which was used for autocross racing.

I'd never driven it until about an hour before the test, it had sliding rather than manually operated windows, was high geared so 30mph in top gear was a struggle and, to top it all, it was a very hot July day.

Nevertheless I got the pink pass slip - not bad after just eight hours' of driving lessons and taking the test in a strange car..:-)

Stuartli 09:12 16 Oct 2006

From my limited experience of the BMW Mini, it has maintained the spirit of the original very well.

Jim Thing 09:44 16 Oct 2006

One of my daughters drives one and there's not much she would swop it for. I've reluctantly had to decline all her offers to let me drive it because my reactions ain't what they once were and I'd hate to stuff the thing into the scenery. However, I've ridden alongside her many times (she's seriously quick but safe) and found it to be a v. impressive wee car. It's also v. satisfying to leave boy racers standing at the lights.

freaky 10:35 16 Oct 2006

Glad to hear you are pleased with your Mini 'S'.

Would be interested to know what MPG you are getting ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?