Microsoft's glimpse into the future

TOPCAT® 16:05 31 Jul 2003

Quote: 'Some of the inventions came out of Microsoft's advanced-research division, a group of 700 employees that spend a lot of time thinking about the future. Or, more precisely, how Microsoft can make money in the future.'

click here

How many ideas will be taken up remains to be seen. TC.

Djohn 16:32 31 Jul 2003

Some of the ideas seem [At the moment] a little far fetched. The driving licence sounds good though, I've been waiting 8 days now for a replacement paper licence for my son.

I needed to contact the DWP this morning to alter some information to my disability file. Instead of waiting several days for a form to arrive, I was able to download a PDF version, fill in the details on screen, print off and sign then post.

Excellent saving in time, also the ability to use my keyboard instead of trying to write by hand. Look forward to the day I can digitally sign the form on-screen and return immediately. Regards. j.

carver 20:18 31 Jul 2003

Can you imagine the benefits of not having to press the button in a lift, the mind boggles at the thought of a camera in a fruit bowl as you get carried away with the girlfriend.

Mastermind 21:22 31 Jul 2003

I can honestly say that I've never found pressing the button in a lift a huge problem.

DieSse 22:16 31 Jul 2003

"Or, more precisely, how Microsoft can make money in the future."

Somewhat over cynical I think - and not the usual way in which such labs are run - that's done at a later stage.

You'd be surprised how much free rein such departments have in large companies - becuase most insightful management realises that only with free rein will the good ideas come to the surface.

The unspoken assumption behind the comment is that making money for a company that produces goods is somehow "not quite right". If only there were more people in companies doing that, with less parasites "making money with money, or speculating, ar administering, or keeping statistics and shuffling forms, or generally being bureaucratic" - then the world could be a much better place.

DieSse 22:16 31 Jul 2003

PS - realise you were quoting, by the way.

Young Ranger 22:37 31 Jul 2003

"Copy machines could be programmed to sort and staple from a Pocket PC". No sign of the paperless office yet then ?

Webmaster 02:26 02 Aug 2003

Well said DieSse! Perhaps some of their software is sometimes not up to much but Microsoft have not got where they are today by not working or selling. The aim of any business is to make a profit.... the very first rule. It's a pity people have it in for Microsoft. I don't know about anybody else but Bill Gates is an extremely good business man and probably one of the best in the world, proved by where he is today and proved by what Microsoft, with it's employees, have achieved on a whole. Now, for those who read Private Eye, I do hope I do not get nominated for the OBN! :-/

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017