Microsoft Office Proofing Tools 2003

consultik 16:27 19 Jan 2007

Just bought a copy of Microsoft Office Proofing Tools 2003 from Amazon. I have Office XP on my computer but couldn't find Proofing Tools 2002/XP anywhere so I assumed (as nothing was said anywhere about not being compatible) that it would be compatible with Office XP. Tried installing it today and got the message that I needed Office 2003 installed. I've obviously had to take the plastic film off the disk case so Amazon refuse to take it back when I emailed them(reiterating what they say on their website).
So I'm left with a useless copy of Proofing tolls and still no way to spell and grammar check dutch (which was the reason I bought it in the first place).

Any suggestions?

Kate B 16:31 19 Jan 2007

I doubt you've got much of a leg to stand on - Amazon will say you should have read the small print. Bad luck :(

skeletal 19:08 20 Jan 2007

Office, its variations, and its tools are an absolute nightmare to try to understand. I had a similar problem a few years ago with something then called “developer tools”. Even Microsoft authorised dealers could not figure out what I needed to buy, and whether the ones I was looking at would be compatible with Office 2000. I ended up buying them and then discovering I did indeed need Office 2003. In my case I ended getting 2003!

Not much help to you I know...unless you may consider an upgrade. Perhaps you may find a cheap one as Office 2007 becomes more prevalent.

As Kate B says, you may struggle to get a refund from Amazon though.

Skeletal

consultik 20:43 20 Jan 2007

Thanks guys, I thought this was probably the case, very reluctant to upgrade office. Don't suppose anyone knows if you can get anything to spell check different languages in open office?

tolkvertaler 13:09 29 Jan 2007

Hi, Consultik. I have a similar problem since my PC crashed and I obtained MS Office 2003, my 2002 proofing tools won't work. It won't take my 2002 proofing tools which have reg no etc. Shall we swap each other's version?

Matthew (Dutch interpreter/translator)

consultik 21:16 29 Jan 2007

tolkvertaler

I am very tempted by your offer, but is your copy of 2002 proofing tools already registered on your old pc/ with your details etc? Are you sure I could just reinstall it on my system?

Forum Editor 21:19 29 Jan 2007

from the machine on which it was installed, and pass over the serial key and any licence document that came in the pack you'll be fine - you can install on another computer.

consultik 21:30 29 Jan 2007

FE

Thankyou for that.

Matthew/Tolkvertaler

I'll send you a mail so we can work out how to swap them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?