Microsoft Office 2007

961 17:21 27 Apr 2009

Reviews of this software were a bit, well, picky when it first came out, especially looking at the price and the fact that open office could be had for free

Added to that we are all, well, comfy, with our Office 2000 or whenever, and could use it with our eyes shut

My daughter is back to college this year and is eligible to buy the 2007 suite for under £40

Is it worth the learning curve, bearing in mind she uses the "old" suite at work?

Marko797 17:31 27 Apr 2009

MSO 2007 is excellent, IMHO, and well worth the £40 (it's a steal at that price)!

Reviews were maybe 'picky' as you say, but the fact is that ppl don't like change. 2007 v is a big change, & all familiar items are hidden to some extent (menu bar for example) which is now replaced by a ribbon. Navigation is therefore difficult at first, but the F1 Help is very good.

I've had 2007 since it first came out; it's a steep learning curve, but I wouldn't go back to 2003 at all now.

When I try and use 2003 it takes me twice as long owing to the menus being different.

Daughter may well be using 2003 at work, but I'm sure many office environments will move to 2007 in good time. If she gets it, she'll be ahead of the game, and be able to teach others, won't she?

Marko797 17:43 27 Apr 2009

if sending a Word or Excel type doc to someone who doesn't have v2007, but does have the widely used v97-2003 then the doc will need to be saved as 97-2003 version, via 'save-as' (click MS Orb at top left, select save-as, 97-2003, etc).

Word 2007 for example produces documents with .docx suffix, whereas 97-2003s have .doc suffix. Just thought it worth mentioning, as it's cropped up on the forum recently.

Forum Editor 17:46 27 Apr 2009

once she gets used to the ribbon menus - which doesn't take long.

Kemistri 18:31 27 Apr 2009

I upgraded to 2007 from 2000 because it was a big enough improvement to make it worthwhile.

The new UX is mostly very good apart from a few annoying little things (eg. context menus could be better), but almost all software has a few of those. PDF conversion (wih the plug-in) is not too bad, but could be a lot better. The footprint is bigger, not surprisingly.

The Home/Student is very good value and 3-PC, but the 1-PC professional versions are less so. I ended up having to pick the cheap non-commercial version to use it on 3 PCs instead of being whiter than white with the terms of use but having to buy three licenses in order to do it. MS needs to offer a 3-PC license for the cheapest professional version (and at a sensible price) if it wants people to fully respect the terms of use.

All round, it's pretty good and I will gladly pay a few pounds to avoid Open Office, which I don't like at all.

Kevscar1 19:33 27 Apr 2009

She can try it for 60 days free here

click here

WolframBlitzen 00:26 28 Apr 2009

I got my copy of office 2007 ultimate from the same website your daughter will be getting it from and I have to say; I'm perfectly happy with it. It took some getting used to and still catches me off-guard occasionally but it's not a bad bit of kit.

My only complaint about it is that if you save in office 07 format, then people using office 03 or earlier can't open those documents unless they have installed an update from Microsoft to run them.

I got mine for £50 because I ordered the DVD set to go with it, which is a good idea, even though it took 7 weeks to get here. My attitude was "I'm getting £500 worth of software for £50. What have I got to loose?"

961 09:17 28 Apr 2009

..for all replies

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?