Microsoft new spychecker

steve263000 03:02 12 Jan 2005

Bill Gates has bought out a beta version of a spyware checker click here I downloaded it yesterday, and ran a check. This found spyware that adaware and spybot had missed. I think you need XP and I know that you have to have a full correct copy for it to work. But if anyone is interested, then so far it works for me.

steve263000 11:12 12 Jan 2005

It just another tool in the box, and worth a go. Free anyway.

€dstowe 14:16 12 Jan 2005

Free but for how long?

I've heard that it will be charged for when the full version is released.

Sethhaniel 15:08 12 Jan 2005

last bit of free spyware - found one all the rest had missed - AND guess what was in its cookie -
PCADVISOR -
Have exported from registry before deleting in case it's something innocent ;)

Sethhaniel 08:26 13 Jan 2005

did complete scan and found nothing - so that's great a clean system (or it doesn't work ;) )

only alarming thing -when it first ran it came up with the message that it would take about 29 minutes to run based on 'like programs' that have run on computer before - now how does microsoft know that - (it actually finished scan in 12 minutes)

LANDCRUISER 14:06 13 Jan 2005

i to have it running it found one spyware that adaware & spybot failed to find,someone on pcadvisor said it was a copy,a firm that microsoft had bought out,it seams to run quiet fast compared to these others

JoeC 15:17 13 Jan 2005

it seems to check if you have a legit version of Windows . . . .

click here

rawprawn 15:37 13 Jan 2005

It finds and deletes "Searchsquire" which is a false positive from Spybot. It is best to set it to ignore Searchsquire. Or each time you immunise with Spybot it will come back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone