Microsoft Antispyware

Thos 10:06 23 Feb 2005

Although I have Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy, I installed the beta version of Microft Antispyware but it never seems to find anything. It always comes up with "no spyware detected", yet both Ad-aware and Spybot when run immediately afterwards find 5 or 6 installed, usually fairly harmless I guess, but there nevertheless. Does anyone else have the same experience?

Diodorus Siculus 10:20 23 Feb 2005

What are the ones that AdAware / Spybot comes up with? They may well be cookies or something that MS considers ok.

Thos 10:35 23 Feb 2005

Examples are "double-click", "hit-box", "media-play" and "avenue-a". I believe you are right in that they are tracking cookies but I thought that antispyware by definition should find them?

Diodorus Siculus 13:59 23 Feb 2005

I don't use MS program so don't knowfor sure but it may simply not bother with cookies. Does it have any configurable options?

Thos 14:33 23 Feb 2005

Perhaps because it is a Beta version, there is no detail available on what is on their spyware list, but the scan report does say no cookie threats detected. Presumably they do not consider the cookies I listed earlier to be threats, though Ad-Aware and Spybot must do!

RJay 20:08 23 Feb 2005

I don't know if you are aware but there is a fairly recent update to MS antispyware beta,since installing this update "Spybot" & "Adaware" don't seem to find anything on my computer.

asrobs 14:03 24 Feb 2005

AFTER LOADING UP THE MICRO SOFT SPYWARE I FOUND THAT ALL MY SETTINGS WERE CHANGED BACK TO THEIR DEFAULT SETTINGS, SO BEWARE IF YOU DO NOT USE M/S SETTINGS, THINK TWICE BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE TIME TO RESET, I REMOVED IT AND WILL HOPE THAT SPYBOT AND ADAWARE WILL KEEP ME OK.asrobs.

Yokel 17:05 24 Feb 2005

The current Beta (1.0.509) does not scan cookies but it is said that a later one will.

I believe that the Browser URL settings revert to MS/OEM sites after a Hijack prevention (Application Agent 'IE URLs') and of course if you use Browser Restore in Advanced Tools with MS defaults still set.

Thos 21:11 24 Feb 2005

Thanks, Yokel. This seems to havbe resolved the question. Thanks to all other respondents, too.

Thos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?