messenger alert driving me mad!

Time Traveller 08:19 01 Aug 2003

I've just bought a new system with X.P insalled and I use AOL V.8. Although i have Norton's AntiVirus & System works I am constantly receiving "messager alert" pop-ups telling me my system is at one risk or another.......HELP!!!

Lú-tzé 08:36 01 Aug 2003

click here for details of how to disable it.

Lú-tzé 08:39 01 Aug 2003

click here for more that can be disabled when you are disabling the messenger service.

slimpickins 09:05 01 Aug 2003

...I've been contacted a lot about this and in every case it has turned out to be a pop up advertising, guess what? A pop-up ad stopper!

There are a few variations of the ad, some of which are very cleverly worded and start as you describe. Try downloading "pop up stopper", a free program click here, it should put an end to them.

Jester2K II 09:24 01 Aug 2003

Lú-tzé - is on the right track here - its the Messenger Service. Enabled by default by MS - Cheers - it allows people to spam you with messages.

slimpickins 12:00 01 Aug 2003

MS has a useful article on this, click here, note that it says the pop ups are not related to Windows Messenger but are part of the a service designed for LAN system administrators. Also the alerts being received by Time Traveller aren't labeled "Messenger Service" but Messenger Alert", therefore I think the "alerts" are just cleverly disguised pop-up ads rather than anything related to Win Messenger.

Don't take any notice of the firewall advice in the MS article, the XP firewall isn't very good and everyone I know who recieved the "alerts" stopped the problem and retained Win Messenger by downloading the pop-up stopper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)