message from paypay or not

bumpkin 20:26 04 Mar 2015

Says my account needs updating or it will be suspended. Asks me to log in and then for credit card details. Now that all seems plausible but also asking for my ATM pin code which starts to ring alarm bells.

Belatucadrus 20:56 04 Mar 2015

Paypal do mail you if you have a long dormant account they're wanting to close, but credit card or ATM number no way.

Even if I think they're genuine I make a point of never accessing any of my accounts via conveniently supplied e-mailed links. Go the usual route through the official website just to be on the safe side.

bumpkin 21:23 04 Mar 2015

The only info I gave out was the paypal password as I thought I was logging in. I have just changed that.

bumpkin 21:32 04 Mar 2015

Clearly another instance of attempted fraud, I can understand Paypal wanting my card details but there is no reason at all why they need the ATM pin code. All done so cleverly and looks perfectly genuine.

lotvic 21:45 04 Mar 2015

Paypal help say: Paypal.co.uk "If you think you have experienced PayPal fraud or received a PayPal scam via email (e.g. a fake email pretending to be from PayPal), forward the entire email to [email protected], and delete it from your email account. If you came across a fake PayPal website, contact our Customer Service team."

I did this with one I had in January and got a very nice email back confirming it was a spoof and thanking me for reporting it.

bumpkin 22:59 04 Mar 2015

Thanks lotvic I will do that, I did try phoning them about it but they must have thought I wanted some help so I got nowhere:-)

It looks so genuine that I was convinced that it had come from "[email protected]" which is what it said but asking for a pin number did not ring true.

bumpkin 00:07 05 Mar 2015

Message sent, I will post any reply if I get one.

bumpkin 00:23 05 Mar 2015

A very lengthy but quick reply that says they would never ask for a the information required in the Email and that they would investigate. An automated response but they have the info now.

Forum Editor 00:33 05 Mar 2015

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

BT 07:51 05 Mar 2015

I get these Emails about twice a month. I've only ever used PayPal once and just ignore and delete these mails.

chub_tor 16:42 05 Mar 2015

I've had several purportedly from PayPal recently, they seem to be phishing hard at the moment. I bin them all. I keep a close eye on all my accounts and can usually pick out those which are not genuine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie