Medion MD9783 laptop memory Help!!!!

rickf 09:19 10 Aug 2006

Hi All,
I just bought the above 2nd hand and I need to upgrade the memory. Mine's DDR 2100 and it says DIMM on the other side. The ones I have found are all labeled SODIMM. Are these compatible. What is the difference between DDR SODIMM and DDR SDRAM?
Thanks rickf

rickf 10:05 10 Aug 2006

bump!! Anyone??

keef66 10:49 10 Aug 2006

A SO-DIMM, or small outline dual in-line memory module, is a type of computer memory integrated circuit.

SO-DIMMs are a smaller alternative to a DIMM, being roughly half the size of regular DIMMs. As a result SO-DIMMs are mainly used in laptops, small footprint PCs (such as those with a Mini-ITX motherboard), high-end upgradable office printers and networking hardware like routers.

SO-DIMMs have 100, 144, or 200 pins. The 100 pin package supports 32-bit data transfer, while the 144 and 200 package supports 64-bit data transfer. This compares to regular DIMMs that have 168 pins, supporting 64-bit data transfer.

The different types of SO-DIMMs can be recognized at a glance by the distinctive notches used to "key" them for different applications: 100-pin SO-DIMMs have two notches, 144-pin SO-DIMMs have a single notch near (but not at) the center, and 200-pin SO-DIMMs have a single notch nearer to one side.

The 200-pin SO-DIMM has two variations for locating the notch that are nearly indistinguishable. If the notch is located further outboard, it indicates the DDR class of memory. When the notch is located towards the center of the board, it indicates DDR2. These two types of memory are not interchangeable and thus have slightly different notch locations that prevent cross installation. The PC2700 200-pin SO-DIMM depicted in the accompanying photograph shows a notch slightly outboard, and is thus DDR. Caution should be exercised when visually identifying 200-pin SO-DIMM modules.

SO-DIMMs are more or less equal in power and voltage to DIMMs, and as memory technology moves forward, both SO-DIMMs and DIMMs are available in equal speed (PC3200, for example, and clock speeds such as 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 CAS latency) and capacity (512MB, 1GB, etc.).

I'd suggest buying from Crucial since they make the process so simple even I can do it. Delivery is usually next day, and it's free.

vinnyT 12:56 10 Aug 2006

Give Crucial Technology UK a call, they will be able to advise you, if it dosn't work they refund straight away and have great customer service. Plus it free to call them, Freephone: 0800 013 0330.

If you don't want to call them, have a look at their website, it will be able to answer almost any memory Q you have, click here

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?