Medion E3300 Aldi Thurs 5 Feb 09 for £389

pabx3 14:56 01 Feb 2009

Has anyone studied the specification and formed any opinions on this? I gather that earlier Medion/Aldi desktops have been well thought of.
It has 4GB memory, 640GB hard drive, AMD Dual Core processor.

MAT ALAN 15:13 01 Feb 2009

click here
Funny you should say that, work mate pointed this out at work yesterday, He's off to buy one says he's been in the market for a new tower, eyes lit up when he saw this, MY opinion NOT TOO SHABBY...

rickf 15:59 01 Feb 2009

Pretty high specs for £390. I have a Medion Akoya laptop and very pleased with it so far.

rickf 16:01 01 Feb 2009

Mind you its only 32 bit. Surely that's a mistake as it also states 4GB Ram. My understanding is that only 64bit can take 4GB ram.

pabx3 16:23 01 Feb 2009

Thanks, guys, for your comments.

rickf:- On the brochure it says (in small print) "64 Bit version included on DVD". Does this mean you could convert it to 64 Bit?

I'm not too genned up on these niceties - could you use/do you need to have both 32 and 64 installed and swap from one to the other at will according to need?

Going off at a bit of a tangent, I'm familiar with XP but wonder - is Vista really as bad as some would have us believe?

rickf 16:47 01 Feb 2009

I can't tell you. The CPU and OS must hAVE THE CAPACITY

pabx3 18:27 03 Feb 2009

The Aldi leaflet for this E3300 says "Requires a Full-HD screen/monitor supporting 1920 x 1080 resolution".

Does this mean [a] you only need this to get the best performance from the computer OR [b] it won't work at all with a lesser spec monitor?

I have a 15-inch diagonal Iiyama Prolite E380S with a native resolution of 1024 x 768 75Hz. Will this work with the PC (but at a lower quality) to start me off with web browsing, e-mail and Word documents?

Sorry if this is a very basic question!

Regards to all who replied to earlier queries.

Joe R 18:53 03 Feb 2009

pabx3,

your own monitor will run fine at it's default 1024 x 768, with the higher resolution available, as and when needed.

pabx3 20:23 03 Feb 2009

Joe R,
Thanks for your prompt reply; I was wondering if I'd have to buy another monitor - glad to hear I don't need to spend!
Would you expect the PC, with the ATI Radeon HD4350 graphics card, to have the ability to run two monitors (dual-monitor?) in what I think is called 'extended desktop' ? The outputs are listed as 1 each of DVI-I VGA HDMI. I guess I might need to use an adaptor depending on what I eventually get as a second monitor. Do the two monitors have to be same screen size and resolution spec?
All of this is new territory for me, so I'm most appreciative of forum help.
Cheers,
pabx3

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:21 03 Feb 2009

click here you can run 2 monitors. Most modern monitors have a VGA and a DVI connection. My computer has DVI and VGA outputs so I run 2 monitors, 1 from the VGA and one from the DVI.
'Do the two monitors have to be same screen size and resolution spec?'..no you should be able to adjust each one separately.

G

IClaudio 21:22 03 Feb 2009

Medion computers are excellent, I've had one for several years, and no complaint...

click here for the specs of the graphics card: HD-compliant as the name suggests, and capable of dual-monitor support. The monitors can be different resolution, I have a 17-inch and a 24-inch running off my Medion.

As for the RAM, there may well be 4Gig installed, but Vista 32-bit will only see 3Gig of it. But that will be more than enough for anything you might want to throw at it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017