media player

qwesaws 08:28 31 Oct 2006

I recently downloaded a movie file and couldn`t play it using windows media player was advised to use FFDshow which I downloaded the movie still didn`t work then I was advised to download
XP codec pack 2.0.5 which I did all was then fine but I`ve tried it today and i`m getting nothing again the only difference I`ve noticed is that windows media player seems to be the program that tries to open the movie file How can I get FFDshow to be the preferred media player? It may not work but I can`t think of anything else.should I delete all these files and start again if so what would be the procedure then?

FreeCell 11:02 31 Oct 2006

If you know the file types of the movies you want to play (e.g .MPEG4)then you can change the preference for that file type in Folder Options. (See Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options , FileTypes) Just scroll down to the file type for your movies and change the program from Windows Media Player to FFDshow. No ned to re-install or delete files.

Alteratively there may be an option in FFDshow to change the default program for media file types. Look in its Options/toolos menu. There is in many other media players such as RealPlayer and QuickTime.

Joe R 11:17 31 Oct 2006

qwesaws,

download this pack here, and you will be covered for almost every eventuality. click here

Joe R 11:18 31 Oct 2006

p.s.

it's the K-lite codec pack.

Z1100 22:04 31 Oct 2006

that might help if you use it to import the file.

If you have SP2 on you machine then you have Movie Maker;
look in c:/program files/movie maker

Hanx!
K.

Danoh 23:55 31 Oct 2006

~ there are 8.
K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.53 [34.0 MB] appears to be the most complete?

Amberlodge 18:57 05 Nov 2006

There is a number of freeware utilities that are constantly updated called AlTools

You should check these out.

Alsong (Sound file player) also has an online lyric database)

Alshow (Movie file player) also downloads automatically the codec it needs if it does not have it)

There are others too. Do a Google for Altools or Alshow

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?