Maplins customer support " excellent "

Joe McG 20:59 05 Jun 2003

Last Friday I ordered a 15 metre S-video to S-video cable from Maplins online.

Received said item yesterday morning. However when I came in from work to set-up my T.V. to play mpegs, avi's etc, I was disappointed to discover, that on one end of the cable there were only 3 pins instead of four.

Phoned customer services and explained my problem, and was told to send my purchase back immediately. ( using the first class post label sent with invoice).

Arrived in from work today, to find to my delight, a brand new cable delivered at 8am.

Most companies can have problems with goods when sent out, but this is the fastest reaction to a problem I personally have ever seen.

I live in the Glasgow area, and the time from me calling Maplins till I received a new cable was 15 hours.

Needless to say I will be doing business with this company again.

I have been into Maplins in Brighton twice in the last week and both times I was less than impressed.

The first time I was in the market for a Asus A7N8X Deluxe Gold. This n=board can be had on the net for a little over £100. Maplins £150. BUT, being as I wanted it for the beginning of the week I was seriousely considering it.

Now the thing is, this Asus board has been revised. It is only the Rev. 2.0 that can handle 400Mhz FSB. So, the one on display clearly stated Rev.1.06 and I asked to look at one from stock. The board was brought down but the guy refused to open it. The thing is you cant see the rev. no. unless you actually see the PCB, it is nowhere on the outside of the box. His answer? "Why dont you buy it and if it is the wrong one we will refund it". Now, call me dense, but would that not mean that I would have to open it at home and then return an opened box?

Still, not seeing the logic of my argument, he still refused to open it in the shop.....

Today, I was less than impressed with the attitude of the staff, (Except a youngster who actually served me - excellent curtesey if little actual knowledge, the former far outweighed the latter and made up for it)

However, I must say, for getting hold of those bits and bobs the store itself cannot be beaten! I, unfortunately will be returning, but not with an Asus - I brought the Gigabyte GA7 NNXP off the net!

Joe McG 21:15 05 Jun 2003

Smiffy99,

This is the first time I have used Maplins online.

They have a store in St Enochs square in Glasgow, and I would not purchase anything from there. (prices are sky-high).

davidg_richmond 01:04 06 Jun 2003

I have had good service from Maplins myself in the past, strangely enough though I've not actually had a 'trouble-free' purchase. I've mentioned on here about the time I bought a 64Mb Smartmedia card, only to find that it was actually a 32Mb inside a 64Mb box (sealed). They exchanged it without fuss or suspicion. I bought an AT power supply to replace a faulty one in a relative's PC, but couldn't get to him for over a month and then found their motherboard was an ATX, not AT, and after opening the box. They had no ATX PSU, so promptly gave me a refund without hassle.

Smiffy, I wonder - might the motherboard you were looking at have been a retail box instead of an OEM one? It would account for the huge difference in price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?