Manufacturers XP disc.

Bazz2000 09:04 17 Aug 2003

I recently bought a brand new PC from Currys, with Wndows XP. I upgraded the motherboard but could not get Windows to reload. Norton ghost came up and seem to restore the files but it still would not reboot. I then installed an old copy of Windows 98 just to see if it would work (which it did). The discs supplied with the PC are printed by the manufacturer (E-machines) and are not original XP discs. Currys refuse to supply me with the original discs though. My argument is: I have paid for a windows licence to use with my PC. I wasnt aware that the licence could have restrictions put on it, namely "you cannot upgrade this PC". I havnt got a clue where I stand, any ideas folks?

-pops- 09:28 17 Aug 2003

You have paid for a Windows license for use with your PC, yes you have BUT, the PC you now want to install Windows on is not the one the license was for is it? A Windows XP license entitles installation in one machine. This has been done by the manufacturer. It does not entitle you to install on any other machines that take your fancy. That will come apparent as soon as you try to activate the XP version - a requirement of XP to be done within 30 days of first use.

Recovery disks (like you seem to have) rely on hidden information on the original computer hard drive and relate to the motherboard and attached hardware. If you have changed something as fundamental as the motherboard, this hidden information does not correspond to the new setup and thus will not work.

I can't understand why you "recently bought a brand new PC" and then "upgraded the motherboard". Why didn't you buy one with a motherboard that was suitable for your use?

Or have I misunderstood your whole post?

jimv7 09:28 17 Aug 2003

Is it the xp disk or a restore disk you have?

User-312386 09:41 17 Aug 2003

you have a restore disc

as you only have this disc, the motherboard will not be recognised as the disc has the drivers for the original motherboard

did you "Format" the HDD?

Bazz2000 09:57 17 Aug 2003

I relly should of looked, but the old motherboard did not have an AGP slot, if it had I wouldld of bought a new motherboard. The plan was to upgrade my pc and use the old parts to build another if you get my meaning. I didnt realise it would be so much hassle.
I thought the licence entitled me to use windows on one machine only. Whatever that machine might be??

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:57 17 Aug 2003

Am I missing something but surely a new motherboard will not make a lot of difference? Better to glue in some more RAM. Anyone care to enlighten me as to the point? It's a bit like changing a 900mhz processor for an 1800 processor.....not a lot of difference, unless you are a bat. ;-))

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it would have been better to post here first before doing the MB swap as I have a sneaking suspicion that you will need to buy a full XP version or use the 98 disk......the terms and conditions do make this clear and are worth a read before attempting any DIY. There will also be some conditions about OEM disks as well which no one tends to read until it is too late. You could always put your old MB back in though.

G

Bazz2000 10:01 17 Aug 2003

Sorry. I bought a new graphics card as this pc has integrated graphics and its not that good. I dont have the AGP slot on this mobo so I bought one that did. The mobos are virtually identical though.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:02 17 Aug 2003

I think that you may have sort of answered my first paragraph.

G

carver 20:52 17 Aug 2003

Yes you are missing something.I think you owe Bazz an apology, he did say the motherboard didn't have an AGP slot and that was the reason for the upgrade.

tenaka 14:21 19 Aug 2003

At the end of the day, you paid for an OEM license which in this case is where you get a cheaper version of Windows XP and the company who sold it to you get to do what they like to it. As long as it meets the requirements of their licence to seel the OEM version, they are in the right.

In answer to your original question, no, you paid for a license. The CD you hold is probably worth 10p if not less, the data on the CD you do not own, all you own is the licence to use the product.

Our company used to use Recovery CD's that relied on BIOS data to lock them to our PC's only. Now we use a modified XP CD that includes mostly the original XP setup with our install script, our logo's and our recovery system. If you know how, you can easily run an installation ignoring all of that and get a plain XP install.

I could tell you how but then I'd have to either kill you or employ you. I'll come back to you re which is the better of the two....... :)

papa lazarous 14:11 20 Aug 2003

The eMachine restore CD's basically contain an automatic installation using Symantec Ghost. Sometimes they will check core components before restoring but usually they will rebuild without any checks. If the image has copied over but Windows will start then it is because the hardware has significantly changed and Windows is freaking out. Try rebuilding the PC with the old mobo, then, remove all major items from device mangler and then change the board. Hopefully windows will redetect all of the new stuff when it comes back on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?