Makes of Hard drives recommended

Demora 18:39 15 Jan 2007

I think my Maxtor 6L200MO is on its way out and its only 13months old. I've been looking around and cannot make my mid up what make to go fo. I had a Seagate before and that was short lived too.

Around the 200gigabyte size and SATA

TIA

Demora

SANTOS7 19:39 15 Jan 2007

If you hadn't of mentioned Maxtor they are the first i would recommend personally cannot fault them,got two in my twoer one of which is 3+ years old.
What makes you think your is on the way out..

citadel 19:54 15 Jan 2007

you may have been unlucky with seagate as I like them and they now give 5 year warranty, I think the others only give 3.

SB23 20:22 15 Jan 2007

I'm on my second Seagate, and once installed I went to their site and confirmed the 5 year warranty, it ends in 2010
The Seagate Hd that came with my pc lasted 4 years.

Can you contact Maxtor to see what can be done, especially if its only 13 months old?

SANTOS7 20:50 15 Jan 2007

click here
WOW!! didn't know about this makes interesting reading..

Totally-braindead 23:47 15 Jan 2007

I've had Seagate, Maxtor, Fujitsu and Western Digital and so far not had a problem with any of them.
Do have a faulty Maxtor sitting on my desk but its over 5 years old and I bought it second hand so it could have had a hard life before I bought it.
I think you've been very unlucky and because I haven't had a problem I can't rule out any of them.

Stuartli 00:06 16 Jan 2007

I've been very happy with Western Digital for the past six or seven years - my current WD600JB is now out of its three year warranty period by several months and has still to miss a beat.

Now why was I foolish enough to write that?

Totally-braindead 00:17 16 Jan 2007

Stuartli now that is really tempting fate. Good luck.

ForestChav 01:18 16 Jan 2007

I've never had a HDD go. Two Maxtors, a Fujitsu, a WD (fluke!), a IBM/Hitachi (of the Deathstar era!) and a Samsung.

Most of them have been pulled out because they're too small!

Demora 09:58 16 Jan 2007

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure now having read some pages on the internet whether the hdd is at fault or something more sinister. I'm getting an error message at bootup occasionally

'Disk read Error press ctrl-alt-del to restart.

So I'll post to the helproom I think

D

Demora 11:14 19 Jan 2007

Thanks for the input. Certainly food for thought. I'm now just looking around for SATA deals

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?