lowestonweb 9800 pro problems

aca 21:39 10 Sep 2005

Purchased Radeon 9800pro online last December. Had to return 1st, it wouldnt run on pc. The replacement lasted until last June when the fan packed up (and I think torched the card). Got another replacement without too much hassle. Two nights ago got graphics problems and crashes. Surprise surprise the 9800 Pro fan was again alarmingly stationary.

Called LowestonWeb. Intially not great service but was offered an alternative or replacement both subject to exam of faulty card.

My problem is that their range of AGP cards is v.limited now and my MOB wont go PCI express. So my only option it appears is to try another of their 9800 Pro. For reasons obvious above this does not give me a great deal of confidence.

Based on above at what point can I ask for my cash back?

thanks

Mr Beeline 23:17 10 Sep 2005

Hi

I think you've been very unlucky. The 9800pro is an astablished card and has a good reputation. Out of interest, what make was the card?

If not wanting to try another 9800pro, how about the X700pro which I see they sell?

As to money back, difficult point but as you've had two fail on the trot...you could try and ask for a refund (or a credit note) and see what they say.

Good luck...

aca 07:34 11 Sep 2005

Mr Beeline

Hear what you say about the 9800 Pro thats why I went for it. Its performance has been great, shame about faults.

The card is actually badged under Lowestontheweb. Has ATI logo on and Made in China.

100s of satisfied customer reviews on their site.

Did look at the X700pro but looked lower spec and wasnt on Tomshardware benchmark in comparisons of AGP cards they had the X800 but out of price range.

Whats the X700 like?

Mr Beeline 23:51 11 Sep 2005

Hi

Se review in click here

Appears to out perform the 9800pro in games tests by a decent margin.

If it was me, I'd go for the X700pro.

Let us know how you get on.

Mr Beeline 23:53 11 Sep 2005

In fact... the summary says

"the Radeon X700 Pro 256-MB has certainly delivered. The new ATI card offers mainstream performance equivalent to a Radeon 9800 Pro in older games, while moving out to a noticeable lead with newer DirectX 9 games like DOOM 3."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?