Low Cost Airlines and 'Cookies'

dms05 12:08 06 Oct 2006

I fly a few times a year and have noticed on Low Cost Airline websites an unusual effect. If I check a flight for 8 weeks away and then return to the same site to book a day or two later then the price is always higher. I've tried frequent checking and have produce some astonishing increases even 6 weeks before the flight.

I tried checking via another PC on my network and got identical prices. However if I ask a friend to check the same flight at the same time on his connection he can produce lower prices on his initial enquiry.

My question is: 'Do Low Cost Airlines place cookies on your PC (or note your IP address at the website) and respond differently depending upon you been a returning enquirer or a new enquiry'?

garrema 13:04 06 Oct 2006

Run Crapcleaner and get rid of cookies (or the individual cookies) and then revisit the website on the same PC. If it was my business its what I would do since if you visit once, go away and come bck then the initial price must have been too low because you have come back. The airlines have a model which allows them to put up prices in this fashion. They ain in it for your benefit after all.

dms05 13:19 06 Oct 2006

garrema - thanks for the advice. I'll Google Crapcleaner and try it!

dms05 13:38 06 Oct 2006

Just a thought - would Cookies be transferred between Browser? Could I browse and check using using, say, Fireox but do my final booking using IE or Opera?

FUl2tiV3 14:10 06 Oct 2006

no they aren't
i use different browsers to solve similar issues
as for the ip addy
try using click here or click here

ccleaner: click here

dth 14:36 06 Oct 2006

am sure that airlines do - noticed the same with easyjet once and checked on a different p/c and the fare was back to the original price.

def90csw 15:23 06 Oct 2006

What sort of cookies do they serve, the ones with choccy chips in them are my favorite.

Confab 15:49 06 Oct 2006

CCleaner

click here

Confab 15:50 06 Oct 2006

Sorry FUl2tiV3 I didn't see your link.

Confab

dms05 16:34 06 Oct 2006

Thanks everyone. I think I'll try the alternate Browse route and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone