Looking for Monitor min. 24" under £200

hippo_oxford 19:16 21 Feb 2011

Hi,
I am looking to buy a large-ish monitor, minimum 24", and probably max. 27 or 28".

This is for 3ds Max, and Autocad drawings, but also to double as a TV in our guest room.

so 90% use for CAD, 10% as TV / film

24" will be fine,
27" would be a preference, but NOT if it stuffs the picture quality. ( and might stretch the budget for a 27" - as few seems avaialbel £230ish? but guess quality drops off? )

I have separate speakers, so built-in speakers not importnat - but if two models all equal on quality ( I know unlikely ) then I'd go for the one with speakers ).

If there really is a decent difference, then happy to spend top of budget just on a 24". But there seem to be loads of 24" on offer with good reviews around £150.

I suppose HDMI, and usb and other inputs woudl eb a preference, but not a necessity?.

Do these make a significant difference to the quality - say compared to a basic VGA lead?

I do quite a bit of photography as well, with a DSLR if that helps narrow down suggestions.

Looking at BenQ VW2420 as one option.
Hannspree seem to be the only bigger screen close to my budget?

Thanks for any help!
:)

GaT7 12:06 22 Feb 2011

For your use the only type I would consider is a non-TN based screen - IPS or PVA. The only trouble is that they are significantly more expensive. On the plus side they offer much better colour reproduction & viewing angles.

Some examples are:

22" Dell 2209WA click here / £215-225 click here & click here (for user reviews click here)

23" Viewsonic VP2365wb click here / Which is about £200 if you can find one in stock

24" Dell U2410 click here / £455 click here

I've suggested PCBuyIt as a possible retailer to purchase from as they have excellent warranty terms. G

hippo_oxford 12:05 12 Mar 2011

Hi Crossbow - bit distracted - hence whiel since I've come back to the forum.

THanks for the suggestions - I'd really liek to have at least a 24"

I've seen 2 that get high recommendations:
a 27" ilyama B2712HDS @ £260
and the LG E2750V ( £309.99 @ curry)

May be able to stretch my budget.

At the other end fo the budget, I see the Hannspree HF257HP gets a good write up, and is way, way cheaper.

My photographs is only a small scale hobby.
Main use will be architecture studies, and doing 2d and 3d auto cad - hence why the big monitor since is important.

Given that use - si there a way to gauge just 'how much' better the more expensive ones are compared to the basic Hannspree.

I am leaning towards the Hannspree, and accepting that I need it for studies for next year or so, and after that technology will advance / become cheaper...and I'll be working more - so will ahve bit of spare cash to lavish out on a much better monitor then? ( however having just gotten 2 parking tickets thats covered the difference between cheap end and top end.

Real question is - will me as the user really benefit from spending the extra?

Also - if we bought a Full HD 26" TV - how do people think that would fair when being used as a monitor?

any thoughts / guidance much appreciated.

Thanks, : )

961 14:40 12 Mar 2011

Don't try to use a tv as a monitor. You'll not be happy

I've had

click here

for 12 months and am absolutely delighted with it

It's budget and you may think it's too cheap. But if you can see one working you'll be convinced it's brilliant

birdface 19:36 12 Mar 2011

Or try e-buyer.
They do a free 5 day delivery.

click here

hippo_oxford 19:46 12 Mar 2011

Hi - many thanks for suggestions -

I'm intrigued what it is about current TVs that doesn't work well / isn't asd good as monitors?

I hooked up our desktop to our sony 26" tv ( HD ready - about 4-5yrs old ) and picture seemed nice and sharp.

THanks, : )

birdface 09:30 13 Mar 2011

I have a tv/monitor and when sitting the the screen looks great but if standing or looking at it from an angle the picture is not that good.
No big deal as I am usually sitting at it.
Not sure if that is normal or not or whether it is just the make of the tv/monitor that gives that problem.
After buying it I went to look at previous reviews for this particular model and someone else was complaining of the same problem and if he had known would have gone for a different one.
Apart from that I am quite happy with it.

hippo_oxford 09:46 13 Mar 2011

Hi buteman, - I had a look at some LCD / LED tvs in pcwprld,

and could wander a long way up the aisle still looking at the same monitor from really extreme angles and the picture stayed fine ( though not on all the models ).

The pixel pitch, response time etc. all seem as good on paper as the computer dedicated monitors.

Anyone else have experience fo TV/minitors?
THnaks, :)

citadel 10:15 13 Mar 2011

26 inch liama 2607 with the res 1920x1200 they sell out quickly whenever theres stock. ive had my eye on them for a while. im getting one when my credit card is paid off.

hippo_oxford 15:57 15 Mar 2011

Hi thanks for suggestions

as a staring point - I'm still trying to get my head round what the differences are between a good TV set, and a dedicated monitor.

so for the comparison - the TV would be a full HD, possibly LED.

I get it that at the screen size below 24" the TV choice seems to fall off a bit - so more likely to find more choice of good computer monitors.

but above say 24" there seems to be a better choice fo TVs. ( I was looking at 26" / 27" TVs at weekend )

If the tV has the same response rate, is Full HD; and a pixel pitch to match a monitor - what are the other aspects you need to taken into account to make a choci between TV versus Monitor.

many thanks for any hints,
: )_

wee eddie 16:39 15 Mar 2011

I'm sure that there was some good reason that it was not among the best buys but I have had no problems with it and the picture is crystal clear with no ghosting (that I have noticed). The colours, including Black, are very good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?