Looking for a laptop...

annemarief 22:53 26 Jan 2008

After an extremely frustating experience with a hp dv6623 that I took back today after 2 weeks of patching and replacing drivers I'm now looking for recommendations.

What I'd like:
Dedicated nvidia graphics (my brother's request)
Decent sound to play itunes through (better than the above hp).
A fast operating system that can handle web, music and office documents running alongside one another (I'm a multi-tasking school teacher!).
Not really wanting to spend over £700 unless it's amazing specs.
Oh and a HDMI port, and good media capabilities (films etc).
Not too fussed about having a a built in media centre (the hp one was vile).

Many thanks in advance.

Forum Editor 23:59 26 Jan 2008

and you can squeeze another £99 out of the budget, you could pick up this 17" beauty, reduced from £999 to £799

click here

It should have an NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT onboard, but check that before you flex the plastic.

Frankly this machine is an outright bargain.

annemarief 00:23 27 Jan 2008

Thanks, I was looking at the sony machines but I feel a 17" is slightly too large for sitting at home doing school work...

I'm currently looking at the Acer 5920. Any ideas where I can pick up one at the best value? And if it will do the job?

Forum Editor 08:54 27 Jan 2008

"I feel a 17" is slightly too large"

You're the best judge of that, but if it helps, I use a 17" laptop for all my work associated with research for clients. I find it really helpful to be able to put two documents side by side on the same screen, and it's surprising how rapidly you come to accept the larger screen as 'normal'. When I travel I take a 15" laptop with me, and the screen seems small by comparison.

Here's your Acer 5920

click here

It's a nice machine, and will do everything you specified, but it doesn't have the graphics your brother wanted, and it isn't in the same league as the Sony.......but it's less expensive.

annemarief 09:36 27 Jan 2008

I was looking at the more expensive Acer with the Santa Rosa Intel and nvdia. So Acer or Sony?

There's always Dell, but I don't fancy the wait.

When it comes down to it I want a good machine that does what I want without fussing!

Forum Editor 10:43 27 Jan 2008

and both will do what you want. In the end the choice can only be yours - it's your money.

If I had to pick one of the two I would definitely go for the Sony, but that's a personal thing.

Marko797 11:39 27 Jan 2008

I got my wife one of the above for Xmas (she wanted, and got, luxury pink!). It's 14.1" screen.

Frankly, it's superb, light, portable, great display, and does everything that we both want it to do.

Sony vaio are expensive when compared to others however, so might hit your budget hard.

Availability seems low though on the pink version unless you want to pay over the odds & go to soemwhere like pc world, where I think it's listed for something like £899.

Depends what u want and when u want it I suppose.

annemarief 12:07 27 Jan 2008

I'm off to go look at the Acer Aspire 5920G.041 after my brother said it looks ok...but to be honest I think he gats fed up with my barrage of questions lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?