looking for a good small laptop to travel with?

CT_MK 11:09 06 Jul 2009

I'm going backpacking and wanting to get a small light laptop that has a good battery life.
But it mut be able to handle photoshop and playing movies (not online).

I was looking at the Dell mini 10v but am worried it would not be able to handle Photoshop CS3 very well. All i want it for is surfing the web, playing movies on my Hard drive and photoshop editing. And because i will be traveling with it, it should be light and have a decent battery. But i also dont wnat to pay too much. the cost of the mini 10v is fine with me.

Any suggestions?

MrNewName 12:37 06 Jul 2009

I don't know about Photoshop CS3 but I have used AdobeLightroom 2 on an Asus 901 with windows and 2GB RAM. It's slow but does the job for me.

It will also play films fine - they were ripped to a hard disk and run off and external drive.

I'm not aware of the Dell but can say that the Asus gives a good 4 to 5 hours of film watching / LR work.

CT_MK 12:56 06 Jul 2009

thanks.
The Dell mini 10v only has 1 GB RAM, and I'm concerned the intel Atom wont be able to handle photoshop (however I only use it to edit pics, crop and resize).
I also heard about a 10" Samsung which has similar specs but they say the battery life is about 9hrs :)

Curio 18:22 06 Jul 2009

Do you mean this one?
click here

Curio 18:24 06 Jul 2009

Or this earlier one
click here

CT_MK 18:29 06 Jul 2009

no I think it was this one:

click here

Curio 19:51 06 Jul 2009

The NC10 was the one That should have appeared in my second post. Bought one for the wife. Good keybard, but no DVD/CD drive. A USB drive will correct that if you want one.

wjrt 19:59 06 Jul 2009
  CT_MK 20:22 06 Jul 2009

Thanks guys:
the Samsung N120 sounds and looks good. but the big question, and the most important for me at this stange is whether they can handle photoshop without much stress. All I will be doing is resizing and correcting colours on 10mega pixel pics taken in RAW and Jpeg. as well as watching movies and surfing the net

CT_MK 20:54 06 Jul 2009

I've also seen the HP Pavilion dv2.
click here

Looks good too. Same specs (1GB RAM, 160GB HD) but a different chip - AMD Athlon Neo Processor

ICF 21:25 06 Jul 2009

Is this one too big click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?