looking for gaming laptop under £700

pinkpanther1 09:21 16 Sep 2006

Hi

I am looking for a laptop thet will be used for general internet use and to run games such as sims 2 and rome total war and age of mythology.

There are too many to choose from and I dont know where to start looking?

wee eddie 10:27 16 Sep 2006

At the very top of the range, there are laptops that can, just about, handle the latest games.

At the price point you are calling, you would probably need to turn off most of the fancy effects and in a years' time it would be completely unable to handle anything new.

pinkpanther1 10:41 16 Sep 2006

What do you think of this lapp top for gaming ACER AS5672WLMI-166

£799 on comet website

wee eddie 11:45 16 Sep 2006

"ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Shader Model 3
4 Pipelines
128-bit Memory Bus
Clocks: n/a
Primarily a faster clocked version of the Mobility Radeon X1300, the X1400 sits squarely between the X600 and X700 performance-wise, but also includes full support for Shader Model 3. While the X700 would still be preferable, the X1400 is very common in notebooks and offers acceptable performance. Not great, but not terrible either."

In other words: It'll run strategy Games OK, but forget the Shooters.

Do remember that that's this year; next year will need an upgrade which is not possible on such a Lappy.

phoenix198 12:31 16 Sep 2006

There's always a MacBook Pro (or similar).

Granted, the range and choice of games on a Mac is still relatively limited compared to a Windows based system. But with an ATI X1600 (128MB or 256MB, depending on exact model) its not lacking in graphical power, and rumour has it that the Mac games catalogue is due to increase markedly in the near future.

Ah, just spotted a small glitch in my suggestion: you'd be very lucky to pick up a MacBook Pro for sub £700! You can get a MacBook for £795 or so but it doesn't have the 3D capabilty you require.

wjrt 17:25 16 Sep 2006

click here

still not fantastic but with the ATI X1600 as above

citadel 19:13 16 Sep 2006

I have just had a look at an alienware laptop and configured it to play games reasonably and it was £912. it had a core 2 duo, 1g ram and a 7600 graphics card.

sean-278262 21:40 16 Sep 2006

"There are none that will be very good at games

At the very top of the range, there are laptops that can, just about, handle the latest games.

At the price point you are calling, you would probably need to turn off most of the fancy effects and in a years' time it would be completely unable to handle anything new."

Ignore that comment

Acer aspire 3023wlmi with an X700 128mb card.

Fear 30fps on average settings
Half life 2 about 31fps on med - high
Need for speed most wanted 30fps on mostly max settings 25 or so with all max
Quake 42fps on stock setup
Command and conquer generals - mostly maxed out runs well never gotten an FPS

So ignore what people say that dont have things to test on and look at the comments of those in the know with the hardware. I paid 640 for my machine in janurary.

My ex got a sony machine for 700 and it runs at a similar spec with an nvidia card.

Google the machines you are looking at such as "laptop x review" into google and you will get some reviews. Dont look at the reviews on the sites as sometimes these can be in house written stuff.

pinkpanther1 09:15 17 Sep 2006

Hi creature of the nite

The acer3023wlmi you have has only 128mb graphics card, and it runs the likes of command and conquer satisfactorily.

I am finding this all so confusing!!

Searching on comet website, when looking at the spec of a computer it always seems to state that a graphics card this size is not powerful enough to run games.

For example the FUJITSU AMILO PA 1510 fpr 669.99 has 2048mb 120gb hard drive 1.6ghz processor and graphics card 128MB ATIX1100 and it states it is not powerful enough for gaming.

Lesley

sean-278262 12:47 17 Sep 2006

Comet and places like that employ anyone willing to push for a sale even if they have no idea what they are on about. I am not joking about the specs I receive. This is what I get on my machine. The FJ should run all the games you mention on at least medium settings and give good frame rates. However dont expect the world of the laptop as it just wont be as powerful as a desktop.

Gaming these days is generally expected to mean FEAR or other games at highest settings with the machine hitting 60+fps. You are not after such a machine so by many peoples misconception you are asking for a top of the range machine rather than something that will play adequately the games you mentioned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017