Looking for a child friendly Word Processor

[email protected] 08:51 16 Feb 2008

Hi

Trying to find a decent kids word processor to get them started with the basics. (Ages 6 and 8).

Currently using Word 2007 version which has too much functionality (for me never mind them!!).

Cheers for any pointers.

crosstrainer 08:55 16 Feb 2008

Be worth a read:

click here

Forum Editor 09:05 16 Feb 2008

children rapidly get to grips with software that many adults find quite daunting. Kids have a way of approaching software that's often very effective - they're not afraid to use the 'what does this do?' approach, and very rapidly find out how to do the things they need to do.

You might find that your six and eight year old children will be completely un-phased by the wealth of functionality in Word 2007 - they'll learn by playing. It's worth a try, I've seen it in action for myself, in a pre-school environment. I was once asked to set up a computer-learning system for 4-year old children in a special day-centre in a big national scientific establishment. The parents worked a few hundred metres from their children, who were supervised by qualified pre-school teachers. I set up half a dozen machines with both basic and more advanced software applications, and left the teachers to show the kids how things worked.

A month later I was invited back to see how things were going, and I was astonished to see what the children were achieving - the teachers said they were learning the software from the kids. These children were using Graphic design software and Microsoft publisher to produce superb Mothers day cards, and posters for the classroom walls, and they were almost entirely self-taught. It was a real eye-opener.

[email protected] 09:15 16 Feb 2008

Cheers guys & you have a fair point FE.

Maybe I should reinstall my discarded MS Works.

Never actually used Works myself but I imagine it might be a good halfway house??

Taff™ 09:31 16 Feb 2008

Have you tried Wordpad? (Built into Windows) Very simple basic word processor without the frills.

crosstrainer 09:32 16 Feb 2008

Is a very different and cut down package. It's database functions bear no relation to Access, adn neither do it's other apps. I would tend to agree with the FE, kid's learn quickly....Since the industry standard is stil MSoffice, Perhaps learning on that would be the best policy. Things like typing tutors can also help.....Showing my age here, but when I was teaching, there was a programme called Mvis Beacon not sure if it's around today though.

crosstrainer 09:33 16 Feb 2008

It still does:

click here

Mike D 09:34 16 Feb 2008

I run a training centre for children and we cater for year 3 upwards. All of our students use MS Office, and all of the applications therein, including Access. Your kids will just use it, as FE says, with less trauma than you or I. Good grief, we have 9 years old working through the European Computer Driving Licence!

Mike

[email protected] 09:43 16 Feb 2008

The "Ayes" have it :-)

I`ll let the kids loose on Office 2007 & in a few weeks let them show me how its done.

Thanks.

€dstowe 09:51 16 Feb 2008

Don't think that children need cut down or simplified versions of software. As FE says, children are very adept at using computers.

I use Photoshop on a professional basis yet I found some years ago when my nieces were 5 and 8 that they knew things in that program that I never knew existed - quite embarrassing. Since then they have become proficient in most of the programs I use and often know more about all of them than I do.

My eldest niece, now 14, has now started building computers.

I think that your children will feel demeaned by having "kids versions" of any program.

€dstowe 09:56 16 Feb 2008

A point, though: There will almost inevitably be "accidents" so make sure you have a backup of the system and check your System Restore is working OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?