Looking to buy a new laptop, help please

edteach 20:07 01 Apr 2006

I had a hp lap top that I had a lot of problems with, it had a celeron pros. in it and would not run worth a darn.
I got hp to replace it with a 3.0 p4 that worked fine, but the flor. light went out in the back and I thought I could fix it as hp wanted 650 for a new screan, I ended up amputating the screan and using a lcd seperate screan, so I need a new lap top. I was wondering if any one could give me some ideas of what and where to buy a new one. should I stay away from hp? dell? I would like ot know if I should get the service contract? extended war.
I dont hard core game, the only game I have is the new german uboat game [cant remember the name] and a law and order game.I mostly use it for email, ebay, photo resize and the like.
writing letters for printing. and a few financial tasks. your opinions would be helpfull. thanks in advance.

Dellman 21:48 01 Apr 2006

Dell are are doing a "phone only" deal of £299 for a laptop.....doesn't seem to bad a deal for a very basic machine!!

Dellman 22:24 02 Apr 2006

Tchibo have got the following offer.....anyone got any opinion as to whether its any good?

click here

dms05 08:02 03 Apr 2006

Lots of good deals about if you are happy with buying online click here is £285+VAT.

Depends upon just what you want.

dms05 08:09 03 Apr 2006

and here's a whole selection click here

Danoh 02:19 04 Apr 2006

I'm v happy with my Sony VGN fs315s (e.g. click here ) although it is already being replaced by the fs415s;
better DVD/CD drive, DDR II memory but,
a less powerful CPU (?!!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?