Looking for Advice to Upgrade PC's Graphic Card

Hello!! I am inexperienced and entering the world of laptop upgrades and I'd like some advice.

I have had my HP laptop since 2011 and use it for art and gaming. It's been running fine for as long as I have it, save for a few overheating situations and slow-loading programs/games here and there. Nothing too drastic. About fall 2015, I started getting this message whenever I opened Photoshop.

Around this time too, I have found that most programs I'd like to use (Adobe/Toonboom Programs) have been running slow or not at all. With my little knowledge, I tried to find updates for my graphics card and was successfully in upgrading it from Intel HD Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.10.2476 to Intel HD Graphics Driver Version:8.15.10.2622. Nothing has changed much, and since I have a Wacom Cintiq Monitor coming from Amazon in about a month, I figured it was time to try and upgrade as much as possible with what I have. I have a very limited budget and would like to try and upgrade my current PC before I go shopping for a new store-bought one.

From what I know, I would need more RAM and a better graphics card. I am unsure which would be compatible with my system.

If you have graphic card recommendations/know what would be best for someone trying to help their laptop to run programs a little better, I'd appreciate it immensely.

Here is all the information about my laptop:

• Hewlet-Packard (HP) Pavilion g6 Notebook PC
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • 64-bit Operating System
  • 4GB RAM
  • 580GB Storage

Display Adapter:

• IntelR HD Graphics
  • Driver Date: 10/01/2012 Driver
  • Version: 8.15.10.2622

Processors:

• IntelR Core™ i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz
  • (^This is listed in my device manager under Processors 4 times)

If you need more information, feel free to ask me to update with it. 1]: [click here

rickf 13:11 30 May 2016

Firstly, make sure you know how to upgrade a graphics card in a laptop. I's a very complicated process. Taking it apart in most cases before you can access the installed graphics chip. Usually takes many careful steps and very fiddly. If not disassembled properly or put back properly the laptop would fail altogether. Upgrading ram is a simple straight forward procedure. Good luck.

Thank you for replying rickf!!

I have actually taken apart this laptop before to clean the fan and take out a piece of a speaker's plugin that got stuck in the earphone port. I'm pretty good at following guides for hardware, but I am unsure the certain graphics card upgrade I should get for my laptop.

I'm currently researching what brand I should get for a RAM upgrade, but I am unsure... I think I would just need to upgrade to 8GB, but I do not know what brand would be best for my HP Pavilion notebook.

chub_tor 10:20 31 May 2016

Boot up your machine and go to the Crucial website Click Here let it scan your system and it will advise you on the best memory for your model.

rickf 14:37 01 Jun 2016

If you find out what your M/B is you'll be able to get a suitable graphics chip for it. Maybe HP's website could give you the info.

Old Deuteronomy 15:39 01 Jun 2016

Your laptop has integrated graphics proccessing, on the CPU die. The chances of their being accommodation for a discrete GPU, let alone actually upgradable, are very slim.

rickf 17:15 01 Jun 2016

Actually, to the point OD. I didn't notice that he didn't have a graphics card in the laptop but integrated HD graphics. So no way of installing a graphics card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone