Liteon (Liteonit) are they rated?

Mysticnas 11:08 29 Oct 2003

Hi all,

I've just ordered a Liteon DUAL DVDRW. I Thought i'd get it as it's the only DVDRW i saw, within my price range, that had good CDRW specs
click here

My mate reckons that liteonit are cheap and nasty, not a patch on Sony or NEC. He was using the Sony TV against Bush TV argument, saying that a Sony would be much better than a Bush. I do agree on this, however i don't agree on DVDRW principle.

Have i lost you yet? ok basically I want to know what general opinion on Liteon is. I've had their DVD and CDRW for ages now and they been working fine. What really can be different about the lets say a Sony or a NEC compared to a Liteon apart from the name?

OldBaldy 11:16 29 Oct 2003

I used to work for PC World, and used to fit a lot of Lite-on Drives - never had one come back with a problem - on top of that, I have, privately, build at least 2 dozen PC's for people, and the majority of those had Lite On DVD's or CDRW's, again, without a problem ever - Can't talk specifically about the DVDRW's but never had a problem with the quality of the companys kit in general

-Beb- 11:33 29 Oct 2003

Ive had a LiteOn CDRW for a while now and I love it. Iv burned hundreds of CDs with it and it still runs perfectly

Stuartli 11:41 29 Oct 2003

LiteOn has a very good reputation; I think it is based in China.

Many of its rewriters are rebadged models from major manufacturers - if you want to find out which ones are rebadged go to:

click here

Mysticnas 11:43 29 Oct 2003

but that link doesn't work.

Stuartli 11:44 29 Oct 2003

Sony and NEC electronic products are superior to those of Bush etc. Bush was once a famous UK brand but the name, along with Decca, Roberts etc. went to the Far East...

Roberts do make first class portable radios despite the change.

You can buy a Bush 28in widescreen television, for instance, from such outlets as Tesco for between ?249 and ?299 - the problem is if it goes wrong.....:-)

Stuartli 11:57 29 Oct 2003

Apologies re Roberts - based in Yorkshire..:-)

I was thinking of another former British brand name that was bought out by a Far East company, but the comment that Roberts make first class portables still very definitely applies.

My mate sells them by the bucket load every year in his retail outlet.

goonerbill 12:09 29 Oct 2003

dont know about dvd-rw but cd-r/rw by lite-on are great. never had any trouble what so ever with them and recommend them to others and would buy again.

with sony and nec, ya mainly just paying for the name

neko 15:41 29 Oct 2003

hi

Just floating by,

I'm sure I was told that Lite-on is a JVC make.
so they should be decent.

I have installed quite a few Lite-on CDRW and DVD Roms with no problems and will stick with them.

Patr100 17:23 29 Oct 2003

That's at least 5 against one (your mate) so perhaps you could ask him to expand on the "nasty" aspect unless it is just a kneejerk reaction based on price comparison and not experience or reviews.

Oh, and I've got a Liteon CDR and would recommend them.

Stuartli 17:52 29 Oct 2003

As I suggested earlier in the thread, LiteOn is a Chinese based company that sells products worldwide, some of which are rebadged:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?