Linux Pah!

Ozy 14:05 09 Aug 2008

I installed Ubuntu Linux.
Compaired to Windows it is very hard to understand.
I try to get sound, I put in the sound card disc, it does not start,
I just get the files on the disc, a readme is gobbledegook, it says,
Extract tar file by tar xvzf cmpi-xx tar.gz, plus a lot more gobbledegook.
It asks me to update Ubuntu, I click update an error box says,
Dpkg was interrupted, manually run dpkg-configure to A.
How do I do that ? if A is a floppy drive, I do not have a floppy drive
I have had it with Ubuntu I’ll stick with Windows

Pine Man 14:40 09 Aug 2008

I will probably regret saying this but an o/s like Ubuntu is really for geeks.

There, I've said it. If you want an o/s to do everything you want straight out of the box without any fiddling you need something like windows.

Zeppelyn 17:41 09 Aug 2008

I tried it to out of interest and most messages meant nothing to me as a new user. I could'nt even get my network card to connect to internet.

Pine Man 19:25 09 Aug 2008

I had the same problem. I got some things working ok but everything else seemed to want a strange language written into a 'shell'!

I'll stick with Vista.

octal 20:35 09 Aug 2008

you are using the wrong Linux version, try PCLinuxOS click here

tigertop2 21:48 09 Aug 2008

It hardly matters which Linux version you use--I've tried 3 and wasn't comfortable with any of them.

Linux is for people who love a software challenge-whereas most of us just want software that works

octal 22:26 09 Aug 2008

It does matter which version you use, some are easier than others. Mines been working for over a year and I never touch it apart from just updating it and I haven't got to fiddle about with all the anti virus and anti spyware stuff which is fine by me. Software challenge? I hate it, I just want stuff to work and I don't want to searching all over the internet for it, it's all in one place, over 8000 bits of software.

dms_05 08:33 10 Aug 2008

Agree with octal. I use PCLinuxOS and it's loaded onto my laptops without any problem - that includes recognising the laptop hardware. The great advantage of Linux is the way all software is available free from a central respositary and when you either chosen to install or update it's done totally automatically.

Like others here I've never managed to get Ubuntu to load and run on any laptop and I've tried many different releases of Ubuntu.

Others worth looking at are OpenSuSe and Fedora but I still find PCLinuxOS the easiest to install and once it's installed it runs like a dream.

Of course it's like any new technology, it has a learning curve but for casual users it just works. I never use 'Terminal' or 'BASH' or a Shell - they aren't necessary.

Ronnie268 21:34 05 Sep 2008

Check out this - click here

This site explains a lot about different linux distribution

ol blueeyes 11:47 06 Sep 2008

I don't often agree with many people but I agree on this I tried 6 different Linux on my main Computer (at different times of course) and had problems. Then I tried the same 6 on my previous Computer and had the same problems. To be hones i found most of them difficult to understand. One of the main problems with SOME of them was installing E:Mail.No we moan about microsoft but at least it works and theres plenty of Software available.

dth 22:02 09 Sep 2008

It is the other way round for me. I have opensuse on my main home p/c and a linux eee. Never have any problems. With my work p/c (with xp) and my laptop (with vista) - always problems, system sagas, program problems and hassle all the time.

The day that my boss kicks out the windows stuff at work is the day that I give him a hug!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?