Linking D Link with BT Home Hub 3

roxie555 15:00 14 Jul 2014

As a D Link DIR-645 router has no ADSL modem it is possible to connect it to my BT Home Hub 3 in order to access the Internet providing * The Home Hub 3 has both its wireless network and DHCP connections disabled so only the D Link becomes the recognised router? * The RJ11 cable between phone socket and Home Hub 3 remains? * An RJ45 Ethernet cable connects both routers? Cheers

Woolwell 18:00 14 Jul 2014

You have had a number of threads running about this. It gets very confusing when you start a new thread every time. Secret-Squirrel has given you excellent advice about a router to buy but you seem to want to continue to use a BT Home Hub 3. Have you bought the D-Link?

roxie555 13:35 15 Jul 2014

You will forgive me Woolwell but having never used an on-line forum before I was not aware that you are supposed to continue with a "thread" (presumably by selecting the "post a response" button)even though a different question broadly related to a previous enquiry. Yes I did buy the D Link DIR 645 as it seemed to offer a solution to a wireless signal problem in the bedroom directly above the Home Hub 3 router. Being "technically challenged" and with no such problem in the room containing the existing router I was guessing the periodic buffering issue was one of the signal strength/direction limitations of an omni-directional aerial. Unfortunately I had not realised a modem was essential and ignorant of the fact that not all routers have one as in the case of the D Link.

The 2 Tablet PCs used wirelessly in the bedroom do not support the 5GHz signal. It is not that I doubted the integrity of Secret Squirrel opinion but I am hoping the "smartbeam" technology may provide a more reliable signal especially as I believe the 2.4GHz frequency is overcrowed.

Like so much in life it is not always a matter of intelligence but question of knowledge.

Y

Woolwell 16:04 15 Jul 2014

It should be possible to connect it to the BT Home Hub - disable the Home Hub wifi and then use the DIR-45. But as you have found may tablets are not ready for 5Ghz. The problem lies with the floor and its construction although plasterboard is not normally a snag.

Want you want is a good wifi signal in the bedroom. There are several ways to achieve that. A different router with stronger and better wifi or wifi extenders.

You could well achieve what you want by getting a Powerline adaptor eg Netgear . Plug one in the room with the router and the other in the bedroom. I don't use that solution myself as I don't have a snag in my house. There are wifi extenders too..

The 2.4 Ghz can only get overcrowded if a number of neighbours nearby are using the same channel. One of the things that I would have done before buying an new equipment was to change the wifi channel and see if that made a difference (get away from any interference) Change channel on BT Home Hub 3

roxie555 17:38 15 Jul 2014

Thanks Woolwell Although the HH3 is set on automatic selection I have tried a few different channels but its current setting of 11 seems to be the best.

I have discovered how to disable the wireless network and DHCP server so as to employ the HH3 only as a modem and the D Link router. The latter claims (which seems to be supported by several expert reviews)to have 6 aerials which can detect when a device tries to connect wirelessly and then homes in, directing the signal to it, hence "smartbeam" I suppose.

Just in case the D Link fails to solve the problem I do have two 7DAY200MBPS powerline adapters but thought that they were for wired/Ethernet connections only. If applicable are there wireless versions and do they also have to be plugged directly into a power socket as opposed to an extension lead. My current powerline adapters do not facilitate being, themselves, plugged into to and so taking up already limited power outlets.

Thank you once again

Woolwell 18:13 15 Jul 2014

There are wireless versions but they all have to be plugged into a mains socket and there are versions with a socket on the back so you don't lose a power outlet.

Carry on with the DIR with the HH3 as a modem.

roxie555 18:17 15 Jul 2014

Most grateful for your advice and time Woolwell Best wishes Mike

roxie555 18:17 15 Jul 2014

Most grateful for your advice and time Woolwell Best wishes Mike

roxie555 10:42 18 Jul 2014

Good morning Woolwell Just been doing a little reading which has prompted a question I did not previously think to ask. Once my D Link DIR 645 router is connected to the Home Hub 3,and the DHCP server & wireless network have been disabled, does the latter require any further configuration even though it is now only acting as a modem? Many thanks. Mike

Woolwell 10:48 18 Jul 2014

I'll leave it to someone more familiar with the BT Hub to answer.

roxie555 11:39 18 Jul 2014

Thanks Woolwell. Does anyone else have a view?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?