Link to a fraudulent site from Amazon

User-597EE593-DACA-4EB3-AD63FC1A110DFAC0 13:05 18 Jan 2007

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on where to go with this?
A friend of mine tried to purchase goods from Amazon but they were out of stock. They said click this link to this company as they have what you want. My friend did this, went through the transaction and is now £150 lighter in the pocket.
Amazon have not taken any responsibility at all, saying that another company inserts the links on their pages. Can this be right? The link has since been removed. I would have thought that as they pointed my friend to another site, they should check the validity of those links?
The bank is now aware of the fraudulent activity, as are the police, (and soon trading standards) but no one seems to want to help shut down and catch this con merchant, who also has other sites, we've found out.
Can anyone offer any advice please as to what to do and who to see to get some sort of justice here?

Many thanks J

recap 13:54 18 Jan 2007

You could try e-mailing them if you click here There is a 'Contact Us' at the bottom of the page.

spuds 14:25 18 Jan 2007

If the item was paid by credit card or debit card (more so if the Visa International logo is shown on the card), then get your friend to contact the credit card or debit card company, if fraud as been committed.They have procedures for investigating and perhaps resolving this type of incident.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:11 18 Jan 2007

This from "Conditions Relating to Your Use of Amazon.co.uk"

"19. Other businesses

Parties other than Amazon.co.uk and its subsidiaries operate stores, provide services, or sell product lines on this website. For example, businesses and individuals offer products via Marketplace, zShops and Auctions. In addition, we provide links to the websites of affiliated companies and certain other businesses. We are not responsible for examining or evaluating, and we do not warrant or endorse the offerings of any of these businesses or individuals, or the content of their websites. Amazon.co.uk does not assume any responsibility or liability for the actions, products, and content of any of these and any other third-parties. You can tell when a third-party is involved in your transactions, and we may share customer information related to those transactions with that third-party. You should carefully review their privacy statements and other conditions of use."

PalaeoBill 22:27 18 Jan 2007

It would be interesting to see the views of a legal eagle on this; is there one out there? I seem to recollect some case studies from college where companies tried to discharge their duty of care in a similar fashion and it was judged to be unlawful.

Z1100 23:37 18 Jan 2007

and the man in the shop said use that other shop round the corner, so you do, and that bloke says I will deliver the goods tomorrow but does not and runs off with your cash...

Do you go to the first shop and say, oi! you owe me £150.00?

Ok, a bit unlikely, but the point is bad advice is just that, bad advice and I don't think we should blame the messenger, warn them yes, blame? No.

Hanx!
K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?