On Line security

Caine 11:27 29 Jul 2006

Our credit card details have recently been used fraudulently for on line purhcases. Fortunateley once we alerted the bank they stopped the account. Given the level of detail needed to complete these transactions (ie the sig strip code etc) they must have interecepted one of our on line purchases as the cards are physically safe. How easy is it to obtain such details? Is on line transacting really safe? what precautions can one take etc etc...Someone recently suggested I might have a Trojan that was giving out this info. Nothing appears on AVG or Spybot or Win. Defender. Is there such a Trojan? Sorry to go on but I'm just a bit shocked it happened.

sean-278262 15:57 29 Jul 2006

You need to make sure all your programs are up to date for one. Make sure you have at least one of the following types of apps.
Antivirus
Antispyware
Firewall

Also ensure you have got the latest windows updates.

The best way to stay safe online is to just use the padlock icon and make sure the address in the bar is one you expect. I have seen people using addresses like click here So do be sure the address is correct.

An alternative is to use a more secure browser such as opera or firefox.

Forum Editor 16:05 29 Jul 2006

You might, but it won't be passing out your credit card details unless they're stored somewhere on your computer, and that's a very unwise thing to do.

In the main, handing over your credit card details via an e-commerce website is at least as safe as doing the same thing over a phone line, and a great deal safer in most cases.

You've made the assumtion tht your card details were obtained online, but are you sure that's the case? They may have been used for online purchases, but it's far more likely that someone obtained the details by actually handling the card - in a restaurant perhaps. Good e-commerce sites use secure servers for card transactions, and you can tell when this is the case by looking for the small padlock symbol in your browser taskbar - bottom right-hand corner of the window in Internet Explorer. A secure server is very secure, and it's extremely unlikely that someone would obtain card details, once you're in a secure session.

As far as I'm concerned, online purchasing is very safe indeed, but as always, commonsense aplies.

ade.h 16:14 29 Jul 2006

If (and that's IF) the details were harvested from your PC, then it must have been done with a keylogger, not a Trojan. It's up to you to ensure that no such malware resides on your PC.

Note: some people recommend using the on-screen keyboard, but this has no effect as the inputs are processed in the same way as keystrokes and thus are still collected by a keylogger. The obvious best protection is to use good quality anti-malware apps.

However, I agree that it is most likely that your details were collected by other means.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:56 29 Jul 2006

I'll bet that the details were not taken off your computer whilst you were using the card. Think petrol stations and restaurants. If you are a shop assistant it is very easy to skim CC details.

G

Caine 18:11 29 Jul 2006

Ive got
AVG
Spybot
Adaware
Win. Defender
Zonealarm
Firefox
all kept up to date together with Win. updates.
Your probably right Gandalf, it was probably done another way.

Thanks for all the advice....

HarryTheDudd 21:22 29 Jul 2006

I was interested by your info about on-screen keyboards being vulnerable to keyloggers. Is this also true for the on-screen calculator?

ade.h 21:26 29 Jul 2006

Yes.

HarryTheDudd 21:47 29 Jul 2006

Cheers. That's steadied me gallop!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone