Lightweight Laptop Help!

NikitaSablier 11:44 24 May 2010

Hi all,

My laptop (Samsung R40 plus) has finally died and I need a new one!

My requirements arent too bad but I havent a clue what to pick :
1. Lightweight - I have my own business so travel a lot, and my old one weighed me down a lot!
2. Battery Life - Could use a decent battery life so I can use it on the move for a couple of hours at least.
3. Screen Size - am used to a 15.6inch screen so would like something similar ideally.
4. Functions - all I do is website design and photo editing in photoshop for my business. So I could use decent screen resolution etc... but I never play games or watch videos or anything of that sort!

Any suggestions would be totally appreciated... the cheaper the better too of course!!!
And where to buy from too - am I best wandering into PCWorld and talking to someone there (i dont really want hard sells!) or should i go via the Dell Refurbished website and buy something there? Or something else?

Forum Editor 19:04 24 May 2010

and a laptop always comes along.

My favourite machine - bar none - as a travelling companion is my Thinkpad X201.

It ticks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned. I'm on my second machine, and it will have to be something very special to make me change.

ame 22:26 24 May 2010

Try Toshiba's laptop selector click here#$=&xcUI=profile=neutralprofile;&_5cl or Dell's website. Don't think the refurbished Dells are that cheap, and why would you buy something like that for your business? Don't recommend going into PC World for a laptop. Wherever you buy from search this site and web generally for problems with the company's after-sales service beforehand.

onthelimit 08:57 25 May 2010

Pricey, but have you considered a MAC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?