L.E.D. Light Bulbs

Newuser939 13:56 01 Nov 2009

I have a light fitting in quite a dark area of the house which takes 4 x 50watt GU10 halogen bulbs. As the light has to be on for quite a long time, I would be interested in anything which promised a significant energy saving, provided that the light output was similar. The bulbs on this site
click here
claim to be the equivalent of a 45watt bulb. Although they are expensive, they would last about 20 years and only use about 10% of the electricity, so could be worthwhile. However, I am a bit sceptical about whether they really are equivalent to 45watt bulbs. Does anyone have any experience of their use in practice?

wiz-king 14:50 01 Nov 2009

I have got some high power LED inspection lamps and they are great, extremely efficient.
It appears there are several GU10 equivalents click here

sidecar sid 15:16 01 Nov 2009

LED lighting technology is still in its infancy
and quite expensive.
I am using 11w low energy bulbs from here
click here
They seem to take a minute or two to reach maximum brightness but I am more than satisfied with the end result.

peugeot man 16:54 01 Nov 2009

I replaced all the GU10's in my house last year and noticed a reduction in my electricity bill.

The downside is the light from them is quite poor for certain areas. For example hall stairs an landing they are adequate, but for kitchen and bathrooms they are not up to the job.

So I have replaced some of them with the type referred to by Sidecar Sid. These are much better and a more natural light BUT do take a couple of minutes to reach full brightness.

So my solution which works very well for me was to mix them. In the kitchen and bathrooms I have 1 row of LED and one row of Low Energy, this gives a good mix and the LED's give instant light so I don't notice the slow warm up of the others.

Whichever you decide you will save money.

peugeot man 16:56 01 Nov 2009

Sorry meant to say replaced them last year with LED

peter99co 19:44 05 Nov 2009

click here

This is the best light I have ever seen if you need good lighting. My wife uses one for reading.

MAT ALAN 19:56 05 Nov 2009

You got a HOMEBASE near you, philips low energy light bulbs half price at £1.99 i have just bought a load.
example 50w bulb 5W energy sold in both edison screw, small edison screw, bayonet and small bayonet...

Input Overload 21:35 05 Nov 2009

I got some 32 watt 6400 daylight 32watt energy saving off EBay. if you drive past the house it does look like aliens have taken over as they are almost daylight colour. I love them! I can't deal with anything less than 32 watt though.

Input Overload 21:55 05 Nov 2009
  Mr Apex 17:52 24 Nov 2009

You have to be careful with LED lights. There are very few that do the job when it comes to replacing 50w halogen. You need at least 7 watts to get enough light and you need to pay £20.00 plus for decent quality. LightPlanet do some decent products which are worth a look. Kulekat.com has some useful articles, too.

greendoug 18:38 09 May 2010

It can be done, I recently replaced my 50w halogens in the kitchen. You really do need to buy quality when getting LED Light Bulbs. Few months back I purchased some from LED Lighting Bulbs, so far so good. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?